Basic

Rachel Johnson drove him crazy.

Her boring brown hair, and her boring brown eyes. Her boring style. Her boring name. She was just like other girls. Every last one.

But just looking at her drove him insane.

He was supposed to like the poetic girls, not her.

He was supposed to like the special girls.

Not her.

But he couldn't help but feel that sensation of longing.

So he ignored it.

Until one day she spoke words he will never forget.

On speech day, the monthly occasion the school gave students to speak their mind. Surprisingly, she was up there. She had never really talked much. Most of the time she was only open towards her friends.

You would never think a quiet person could have so much to say.

The crowd had gone quiet, and he had gotten prepared to zone out for her whole speech. But when she spoke, sparks left her mouth. Her voice reminded him of rich chocolate. It was so low, lower than his.

She started by immediately saying;

"How many of you have the goal to not be like other girls?" Everyone shifted in their seat.

"I get it, I'm a typical person. I drink Starbucks and I wear big sweaters with leggings.

Am I doing it for anyone?

No.

Am I doing it for my own comfort?

Yes.

My personal choices are not up to you.

And why is it that having the same interests as other people is such a crime?" Suddenly he had fealt a sense of guilt rise in his stomach. His face was red, but no one else could see.

"Why do we have to be different than anyone else? It's a lot of work to be different. I'm not up for it.

And girls, are just girls. Don't go putting them against each other by comparing them, please. Just compliment our attributes. That's enough!

Thank you."

Her speech was only about one minute. One minute of words changed a world.

He was stuck. He was confused. But looking at her round face and dimpled cheeks, he knew that he was wrong. Wrong about her.

He thought she was boring. But she was just herself.

And he let himself fall.

--------------------------------------

Sorry that this was so shitty. I just wanted to get it done.