Sixteen Candles

Elvis enjoyed spending his days watching over the young Lexie. She spent most of her days thinking about him and listening to his music, but it didn't make up for the snide comments she received from the other kids at school. Lexie was different, that was for sure. She enjoyed everthing vintage and read everything she could find on Elvis. Then at night, she would sit on her knees on the floor beside her bed and pour her little heart out to him. With, "Dear Elvis," each prayer would start and, "In Jesus's name, Amen," each would end. But, no one else she knew did anything like that and it worried her. Elvis tried to reassure her by occasionally visiting her dreams and talking to her but she thought his visits were only figments of her imagination. Why would she think anything else?
One night Lexie bought a book ebook off of Amazon about him and when she finished it, she cried for two and a half hours straight. She knew he was dead to begin with, obviously, but since she never truly met him, his death was a very touchy subject and every once in a while the reality of his death would sink in and she would find herself grieving him all over again. For her it was a never ending cycle. She didn't think of herself as just an ordinary Elvis fan, though. She fancied herself in love with him and she really was.

"Happy birthday, Lexie," exclaimed Lexie's mom as she walked into the house carrying a birthday cake with 16, lit candles on it. Lexie giggle and blew them out. "I can't believe you're sixteen today," her mom said, smiling, "My little girl's all grown up!"
Lexie rolled her eyes. "Get a grip, Mom," she laughed, "Its not that big of a deal." She reached out to get a swipe of icing, but her mom slapped her hand away.
"Not until after dinner!"
"But Mom, I'm only gonna be sixteen once. Just let me have a little bit. Please!"
"No and you're going to be sixteen all year so don't give me any of that crap. Besides, you know the rule. It hasn't changed since you were born."
"Fine," Lexie said, pouting a little, "but can you at least hurry dinner up a little bit? I'm starving."
"Sure."
Her mom turned around to start on the food and, seeing an opportunity, Lexie swiped at the icing and licked it off her finger, smiling. Elvis watched as she stood up and made her way to the television to pause the episode of The Flintstones that she was watching. Then she gathered all her hair into a messy bun and walked back to her mom.
"So...what are we having," she asked. Lexie's mom looked over her shoulder as she stood over the kitchen sink, pouring water into a pot.
"Pierogies."
"Can I help?"
Her mom shut the water off and picked the pot out of the sink, carrying it to the stove. "Uh...sure. Can you get the box out while I find some noodles in the pantry?"
"Yep," Lexie replied as her mom sped past her and she turned around to pull the box of pierogies out of the fridge.
The images of Lexie and her mom slowly faded from Elvis's view and he smiled. "Sixteen," he said aloud, "sixteen." He shook his head and laughed. "Can't believe she's sixteen. She gets more beautiful everyday, too, huh Daddy?" Vernon Presley took a step closer to Elvis.
"She sure does, Son. So, do you know what Florine has panned for Lexie's birthday?" Elvis and his family learned a long time ago that Lexie's mother's name was Florine. It was such an odd name that they thought they misheard it at first but they did not. Her name truly was Florine.
"So far, I haven't heard anything," Elvis said. He shrugged and looked back to where the 'window' had been only moments before. "Maybe she doesn't have anything planned."
"Maybe." Vernon shook his head.
There was a moment of silence between them then Elvis' face brightened with excitement. "What if we found a way to do something for her for her birthday?" Vernon looked at Elvis with obvious worry and concern.
"What do you mean?"
Elvis didn't answer. He just smiled mischievously.

A/N sorry I haven't updated in so long. School has been a real pain in the butt. Anyway, I hope you like it. If you don't, I really am sorry. My writing skills aren't that great and I usually never let people see what I write so.... feel privileged. Lol :)