I Think of You

Elvis replayed every moment between himself and Priscilla. How could I have been so blind. She was only ever after my money. I guess she got what she wanted in the end. Elvis scoffed and kicked at the mist covering the ground. Heaven isn't all it's cracked up to be. It was a repetitive cycle. All he ever did since he died is kick himself for being so trusting and gullible. Between Priscilla, Tom, and Dr. Nick, it's a miracle he didn't die sooner.
"Baby," a woman's voice called out.
"I'm over here, Mama," Elvis answered, waving his mom, Gladys, over.
"Boy, you gotta stop wallowing in self pity. It's been 32 years. This has gotta stop. You occasionally check up on Lisa Marie, but for the most part all you do is sit around and blame yourself for things. This isn't you. This isn't the man I raised. You need to-"
A noise sounded in Elvis' ear. A ringing noise like a bell or maybe a chirping. No, no. It was a voice. A tiny voice.
"Are you listening to me, boy," Gladys asked, angrily, hands on hips
"Yes ma'am."
"Well like I was saying, this isn't healthy. This is heaven for God's sakes. It's supposed to be enjoyable. Please try to be happy. Please. I can't stand to see you like this," she said putting a hand gingerly on his shoulder.
Elvis looked down and sighed. He heard the tiny voice again but this time it was louder and more clear. "I liked that movie, mommy. Can we watch another," it said. It was a little girl, about 9 or 10. She spoke again, this time begging to see another and as Elvis heard this, the mist covered ground seemed to turn into a window, for he saw an overhead view of a 9 year old little girl with wavy red hair and what seemed to be the girl's mother with curly blonde hair. They were both sitting on a gray couch in a small living room, watching the end credits of King Creole, one of Elvis' movies.
"Can we please watch another, mommy, please. I really like these movies. So far this one is my favorite," the little girl asked.
"Okay fine," the mom said, "But only one more, Lexie. After that, you really have to do your homework. Okay?"
"Okay," Lexis exclaimed excitedly.
Elvis smiled at the thought of anyone being so excited to see one of his movies. The next movie they watched was Live a Little, Love a Little. "I didn't like that one as much," Lexie said, frowning a little, "He deserved so much better. That lady was so wrong for him. I don't understand why he ended up with her when she was so self-centered. I wish I could give her a peice of my mind." The mom giggled a little then became very serious with a dazed expression.
"He did deserve better, didn't he?"
The little window faded away and Elvis found himself staring into the thick mist again.
"She's a sweet one, isn't she," Gladys said. Elvis had completely forgotten she was there and the sound of her voice made him jump.
"What? Oh, uh, yeah," Elvis fumbled. He looked back at Gladys. "Who was that? Why did I see that," he aked.
"I don't know, but there's a reason for everything. You just need to find this one out."
"I guess so."
"Alright now, I gotta go meet your father. Bye, dear."
Elvis didn't make an attempt to get up. He just sat there and thought about what just happened. Who was that little girl? Why did I see her? After all, he never watched over his fans. Only Lisa Marie, his home, his friends, and, occasionally, Priscilla. Why would he have an odd feeling in his chest when he saw her? Why did he feel the need to watch over her and make sure she's safe? He didn't know. But it had to mean something, right? After all, there's a reason for everything...............right?