Part 3. "Thank you Nick"

Carla opened her eyes and looked around. She had to blink a few times to actually be able to see properly. She found herself lying in a hospital bed. She immediately started to panic.
"It's okay. You're in hospital Carla." A voice said. She looked to her side to find Nick, he was holding her hand to keep her calm. She didn't let go, she just held it tighter.
She touched the back of her head as it started to hurt. That was when she remembered what happened.
"You hit your head remember?" Nick asked.
"Yeah, I... I remember." Carla said quietly. Tears began to flood her eyes, not only because of the pain in her wound, but because she was scared of her husband. She knows he didn't mean to do this to her, but it really shook her.
"Carla." Nick said sounding serious. "I know what Peter did to you. He pushed you and left the flat. I pretty much saw it all Carla. But it's okay, you're safe now." The tears came racing down her face like a waterfall. Nick stood up and gave her a hug to comfort her. It worked, all of a sudden she felt safe in his arms. She closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. He kissed the side of her head, trying to avoid the injury at the back of her head and he sat back down.
"Why are you being so nice to me and caring for me?" She asked. She thought to herself why would any man want to care for me?
"Because I witnessed it all. I couldn't let you be on your own in here. No way." Nick smiled. Carla returned the smile. "Oh and I got something for you..." He said as he reached down by his side. He passed Carla a custard slice and an espresso from Roy's. Her smile was bigger than it ever had been.
"Haha, you didn't have to." She laughed while sitting up in the bed.
"No I didn't, but I wanted to. Oh and I also bought you this." He reached back down and brought up a bag. He placed it onto Carla's legs, expecting her to open it. She looked at him and did what he expected her to do.
"Oh Nick! You really didn't have to!" She smiled as she pulled out a new blouse from the bag. Exactly the same as her last one. Except this one wasn't covered in coffee.
"No, but I wanted to pay you back." He replied.
"Nick, you being here for me is enough. Spending 100 quid on your fiancé's ex-husbands new girlfriend is nuts! Really, you didn't have to." Carla said surprised as a happy tear fell down her cheek. Carla found this extremely sweet. She thought why is he being so nice to me? He doesn't even have to be here. But he choose to spend his afternoon with Carla rather than with his fiancé. "So in a whole day, you saw me covered in coffee, you saw my nice side, me topless, me in a hospital bed and now you've seen me cry. What are you trying to do to me?" Carla joked.
"Your nice side?" Nick asked sarcastically. He laughed.
"Oi cheeky! I can be nice... Sometimes." Carla laughed as he grabbed her hand once again. He stared deep into her eyes and she stared back. "Thank you Nick." Carla whispered. He replied by stroking her thumb with his thumb.