Part Two: The Games Return

Katniss

“Well it’s only a matter of time until…”

“Haymitch please don’t. I really don’t need that speech,” I say to him as we sit in his living room doing something we never do, have a normal conversation. Well, as normal as it can get.

“I know that! But I can tell that even though you don’t want to talk about it you’re thinking about it,” I sigh because I know he’s right. I’ve been thinking about it even more since Gale got called back to the Capital.

“It’s just, it’s almost been a month and nothing has changed. No one’s figured out that Melody’s a fake, Melody hasn’t put the Games back into play, and God only knows where and what Gale’s doing right now! Everything’s wrong. Things should be changing but they’re not and…”

“Katniss, you should be happy that Melody hasn’t done anything too drastic yet.”

“I know but…”

“No, no buts! I understand that you have reason to worry but quite honestly Peeta’s right there is nothing we can do but wait. And like I was trying to say earlier it’s only a matter of time, so why rush it?”

“All I know is that the anxiety is killing me and if I have to keep anticipating it for much longer I’ll be dead!”

“I’m sure you’ll live,” Haymitch tells me simplistically.

“Thanks for your concern,” I reply in a sarcastic voice.

“You’re very welcome. Now let’s move onto a more important topic.” I roll my eyes as he continues. “What’s for dinner?”

For the last time I don’t know because Peeta’s making dinner tonight. Geez I’m not psychic!”

“Well why don’t you take your little none psychic mind and go find out,” he says as he makes a little sweeping motion with his hands as if he’s pushing me out the door.

“A lot of help you’ve been,” I mumble as I leave and go over back to my house. When I step inside I can instantly feel, not to mention smell, the different atmosphere. I put a winning smile on my face so I don’t worry Peeta even more. He’s already far too aware of my concern for the lack of action and he, just like Haymitch, thinks I need to take a few chill pills.

“Did you find the information you were looking for?” He asks me as I peek over his shoulder to find out what he’s cooking.

“What do you mean?” I ask innocently.

“Oh come on Katniss I’m not an idiot.” He sprinkles a mix of salt and pepper on the rack of ribs he’s seasoning. “I know you went to go see Haymitch.”

“That doesn’t mean you know why.”

“Oh yes I do.” He slides the ribs into the oven and goes over to the sink to wash his hands. I hoist myself up onto the counter letting my legs dangle just inches from the ground as I swing them back and forth.

“No. He told me the same thing as last time. Besides he was more interested in dinner,” Peeta chuckles and turns to face me as he dries his hands off with a towel.

“I told you so.”

“No you didn’t!” I exclaim.

“Well I thought it.” I scowl and he grins at my reaction. “Don’t deny it. You know it’s true.”

“I’d rather deny it.”

“Are you sure about that?” He asks as he creeps over to me.

“One hundred and ten percent,” I declare even though I know where this conversation is going.