Chapter 17

Jay

                  “Do I really look okay?” I ask Quince as we stand in my greenroom waiting for the District Twelve tributes to be called for the one minute check. He’s got me dressed up in a black strapless dress that’s form fitting until it gets to the poofy skirt. Thankfully he’s take a small step back from the whole fire thing. Instead of a red and orange fire design he’s gone with blue flames. The icy swirling spikes start at the hem of my skirt and flow up the dress until they reach the top and come to a pointy halt. I actually like it a little better than the fire gig. The blue gives me some individuality. It’ll help me show the audience that I’m not my mother the rebellious victor.

Except for the bit of silver sparkle to it Quince pretty much left my hair alone. Its natural waves fall over my shoulders like a shimmering waterfall adding a nice touch to the ice theme. He almost left my face alone too but decided to put some mascara and clear lip gloss on me. The only thing I’m about to toss out the window are the black strappy heels. I can barely take one step in them much less walk across a stage.

                  “You’re gorgeous. Quit down playing yourself. Everyone’s going to love you!” Quince encourages me.

                  “I sure hope so…” I’m about to go on but the mechanic voice blares over the intercom.

                  “Jay Mellark fifty-eight seconds and counting.” Oh thank god! They actually listened to Plutarch and changed my name to Jay.

                  “Just be yourself and you’ll shine brighter than the sun,” Quince tells me as he puts his hand on the small of my back and gently leads me to the stage entrance. “I’ll be right here when you get back.”

                  “Jay Mellark ten seconds and counting.”

                  “Break a leg!” My eyes widen in alarm but instead of comforting me he just laughs. “It’s just an expression Jay. Good luck!” And with that he turns and leaves me to walk onto the stage.

                  “Jay Mellark on stage,” the voice says as the door in front of me slowly opens.

                  “And now please welcome the wonderful District Twelve tribute Jay Mellark!” Eurapa Tinte calls out to the audience. I step through the door and try to tune out the millions of cheering people as I shake her hand and sit down. She tucks her short lime green curls behind her ears and begins the interview. “So Jay how’s city life been so far? Do you like it?” How’s city life? I’m being held hostage and tomorrow I have to fight to the death and she wants to know how I like the city? She must be crazy! Okay calm down Jay just calm down. Be nice. Be pleasant. You want them to like you.

                  “Well it sure is different than District Twelve! There’s much more noise here.” Eurapa laughs and I laugh too. Luckily I sound convincing enough.

                  “Yes I suppose that is a big change. You know speaking of changes get a load of your dress! You went from fire to ice just like that!” She snaps her fingers and I giggle.

                  “Yes isn’t it great? To be honest I’d rather ride in an ice chariot than a fire chariot any day.” That sounded good right? Okay I think I’ve got the hang of this. “Wouldn’t we all! I have to say that was quite an impressive entrance. But what’s even more impressive is that score of yours! Do you mind giving us a hint of what lead to you getting a ten?” Find an answer find and answer find an answer…

                  “Well I’m not sure if I’m allowed to tell but I think everyone can keep a secret. Right?” An amused laugh ripples through the audience as Eurapa grins and leans in closer.

                  “I think we can manage.”

                  “So the whole weapon choice thing all of started back home but I’ll save you the back story. The bottom line is well…” I pause to let the suspense kick in. “I sort of blew something up. Wait. Scratch that. I blew two things up.” Murmurs come from the audience and Eurapa’s grin widens at the same time her mouth drops open in shock.

                  “Seriously?”

                  “Seriously. They weren’t really paying attention to me so I kind of decided to make them watch.”

                  “Well I’m sure that did the trick! But how?” All right now it’s time to pull back on the reigns. I don’t want my fellow tributes to know what weapon I’m good with.

                  “That’s what you’ll get to find out later. Well that is… if they decide to put the weapon in the arena.”

                  “I’m sure they will!” The timer goes off and Eurapa and I stand and shake hands again. “Good luck Jay. I’ll be waiting to find out the surprise!”

                  “And I’ll be thinking of you when I revile it!” I smile and wave to the audience once more before leaving the stage. Thank goodness that’s over.