Chapter 7: Telling the Gang

Tris's POV
We walked in to get lunch and sat down with the gang. I kept my hand by my side.We wanted to see how long it would take them to notice that something was different.
"What's got you all happy lil bro?" Zeke says. "It's nothing Tris got me this huge piece of dauntless cake this morning and I still can't believe how big it was!" Uri says. That was a good cover up I think then I see Chris look at me and say "What's got you happy then?" "It just makes me happy to see Uri happy." I say. She doesn't believe me. "Come with me I need to go to the bathroom." Chris says. "Do I have t--" I get cut off by Chris grabbing my arm and dragging me to the bathroom.
"Do you think you can fool me? I am a ex-candor. I can tell when someone is lying." She says.
"We were trying to see how long it took you guys to notice that something was different."
"That means you have to tell me something."
"Ok--"
"AHHHHHHHH OH MY GOD TRIS THIS IS SO AMAZING! HOW COULD YOU TRY AND KEEP THIS FROM ME!" Well it looks like she saw the ring.
"Chris keep it down. With how loud you are even Amity can hear you which means the gang can too."
"You have to tell them as soon as we go back ok?"
"Ya I will." We walk back to the table and they are all staring at me and Chris.
"What was that all about?" Everyone in the gang says. I walk over to Uri and whisper in his ear, "She figured it out and is forcing me to tell them as soon as I sit down." I sit down and decide I don't want to speak so I just put the hand with my ring up on the table and start to eat. I try to see how many of them notice.
"Tris...what is that?" Zeke says.
Who knew he would notice first. Uri decides to speak up, "Oh I proposed. She said yes."
"So that was what Chris was screaming about?" The gang asks.
"Ya." I reply.
"Congrats!" Everyone says.
Then Four and Marlene walk up to our table and ask, "What just happened? Why is everyone so happy?"
"Well there is a new couple here that just got engaged." Will says.
"Congrats Will and Christina!" Four and Marlene say. Gosh they are so stupid sometimes.
"It isn't us." Will and Chris say.
"Congrats Zeke and Shauna!" They say.
Wow yet again such idiots.
"Not us either." Zeke and Shauna say.
"Tris?" Four says.
"Uribear?" Marlene says
"Uri proposed to me and I said yes you idiots! Are you that in denial that we could maybe be happy 4 years after you guys cheated? You know maybe if you had a brain you could think about other people than yourselves sometimes!" I am crying right now and I get up and sprint to our (Uri and I) apartment. I hear Chris scream at Four and Marlene but I don't know what she says. Then I hear Uri say "I am going to go get her." But then Chris says "No I think this is something I need to take care of." Then I hear footsteps behind me at a running pace. I try to close the door and lock it as I get in the apartment but Chris was right behind me and caught the door.
"Chris could you leave me alone? I want to be alone!" I say. Knowing that I really want Chris to be there she says, "I know that isn't true. Listen Tris, if they can't be happy for you and don't think you can be happy then it is their fault. They did some terrible things to you and now they are trying to act like they didn't. I know that you feel like they are being so selfish and they are. But I know that you are still selfless and can understand what is going on so I am going to say this once. I know that you aren't going to forgive them. I wouldn't either but Four feels like he should have you not Uriah and thinks he is better than Uriah. Marlene thinks that she should have Uriah and that she is better than you. Neither of them are better than you two and they don't realize how amazing you are and how you two fit together. They are too selfish. I think you need to realize how they are trying to get to you and you need to make it impossible for them." Chris says. Man that made me feel so much better. I run up to Chris and hug her.
"You are right I can't let them get to me. Let's go back down there and show them what I'm made of and how strong I am!" I reply.