Astrid's Plan

It used to be a very rare sight to see the village of Berk quiet in the pitch black night. With dragon attacks almost every night, fires raging, and battle cries ringing through the air, the village was anything but quiet. But since the training of dragons, nights had become a little more peaceful in the village. Instead of battle cries, snores were heard. Instead of hungry blazes, ashes and cinders laid extinguished in fireplaces. Everyone was at rest, except for a girl and a dragon.

"Okay, Toothless. Are you ready to get Hiccup back?" Astrid asked the dragon sitting in front of her. She made sure her voice was lowered to a whisper, for they were right behind the Haddock household. If either Hiccup or Stoick woke up, she would have some explaining to do about why she was up so early in the morning.

Toothless crooned his agreement and anxiously nodded his head, fully alert even though he had barely been woken up two minutes earlier. When Astrid had woken him up, still sleeping outside because Hiccup was still afraid of him, he had been slightly annoyed with her for interrupting his beauty sleep. But when she had spoken those three words, he was all ears. "It's about Hiccup." Anything having to do with his best friend, was worth his time.

"Okay, so here's the plan," Astrid began as Toothless shuffled closer, eager to hear the girl's idea of how to get his friend's memory back, no matter how crazy it was. He was willing to do anything for Hiccup.

"So, we know Hiccup's terrified of you."

Toothless knew Astrid hadn't meant to hurt him with her statement, but it pierced his heart like a dagger. Toothless then had a flashback at the word "dagger." He remembered Hiccup looming over him, dagger in hand, while he, the dragon that would later become his best friend, laid on the ground, tangled in a mess of ropes, partially pleading for life, partially wanting to die already.

"Toothless?"

Astrid's voice snapped Toothless out of his flashback back into reality. He then looked back at Astrid with his intent lime-green eyes to show that he was listening.

"Okay, as I said before, Hiccup's afraid of you, but he's not nearly as afraid of the other teen's dragons, Hookfang being an exception." Toothless then heard her mutter under her breath, "No thanks to Snotlout," before continuing. "So, I'm starting to wonder maybe it's your species he's afraid of, not necessarily you in general."

Toothless perked his ears up at this. He had never really thought that his species would be the cause of Hiccup's fear, but what Astrid said did make sense. He was a Night Fury, the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. That statement alone could send chills up anyone's spine.

"And if this is the case," Astrid said, noticing Toothless' growing interest, "then all we have to do is show him that Night Furies are just like all the other dragons he has met, excluding Hookfang."

Toothless then cocked his head, at a loss at what Astrid was getting at. They'd already tried to show Hiccup that dragons were nothing to be afraid of, but that had ended in disaster and nearly gotten Hiccup killed. Toothless shuddered at the thought.

Noticing the dragon's confusion, Astrid tried to clarify for him. "What I mean is, we show him that you are no different from the dragons he met in the Dragon Training Academy. You're no scarier than they are." She then smiled like she had given the best explanation in the world.

Toothless, however, was still confused and cocked his head even lower than it was before to show just how puzzled he was. He knew Astrid was trying her best to explain, but he still didn't understand her plan.

Astrid's smile then turned upside down before she sighed and said, "Okay, let me say this in a different way. We try and show him all the great things Night Furies can do."