A5. Fetch

Some dogs are natural retrievers while others are not. It doesn't matter which catagory your dog falls into, any dog can learn to fetch with time.

There are several ways you can teach fetch. I will show you two ways. If these aren't working for you dm me and I can give you the other methods. One of these methods is for natural retrievers and the other is for dogs who have no interest whatsoever in fetching.

Method 1)

Materials.:.
-dog's favorite toy
-a second toy or treats your dog likes

Step 1) get your dog interested in the toy and throw it about a foot or two away. Once your dog gets it call him and when he comes show him the treat or toy and he should drop it (more explanation on drop it later). Once he drops it, grab the toy, praise, and throw the toy for him again. If you are using treats to get him to drop it the toy, then give him the treat too before throwing the toy again.

Step 2) Sam as step one except you can begin throwing the toy farther, you can even say 'get it' or 'fetch' before you throw it. Before the dog drops the toy say 'drop it' too.

Trouble shooting~
My dog runs away with the toy instead of coming to me.
Don't chase after you're dog. Instead make enticing sounds and run away from him to get him to follow.

Method 2)

Materials.:.
-dog toy
-dog chews (soft or hard, depending on how willing your dog will mouth things)
-wooden dowel or stick shaped like the chew
-enticing treat (such as real meat)
-clicker or marker word

Step 1) Hold the chew, and when your dog mouths it, click and reward. Repeat many times

Step 2) Exchange the chew for the dowel or stick. The dog may or may not mouth it at first, but click and reward any interactions (licking, sniffing, etc). Eventually raise your criteria to mouthing the stick.

Step 3) Exchange the stick with the toy. Lower your criteria and slowly raise it up at your dog's pace.

Step 4) Once your dog is consistently mouthing the toy, you can begin to lower your hand closer and closer to the floor. Eventually keep the toy on the floor. If your dog becomes confused go back a step.

Step 5) click and reward your dog for mouthing the toy. If he actually picks it up slightly, jackpot him. When he consistently is picking it up, raise your criteria and wait for him to lift it higher and higher.

Step 6) When your dog is picking up the toy constantly, begin moving the toy away from you. Click and reward him when he makes any movement towards you with the toy in his mouth. Jackpot the first time he does it to encourage him to do it more.

Step 7) Now you can toss the toy farther and farther away from you. Go at your dogs pace as to not confuse or frustrate him.

----

Tip! With some tricks and when doing tricks in distracting enviroments, use real meat to encourage and keep your dog's attention on you.

-

BUILD ON IT! Teach: Fetch me a tissue