A6. Leave It

Leave it. One of the most important things I consider a dog should know. I sometimes bring food back to my room to finish my homework, etc. my dogs will usually accompany me. Since I have food and am trying to work, I wouldn't enjoy my dogs trying to take my food. With the leave it command I feel comfortable leaving the food next to me, having the dogs on my bed, and finish my work without having to worry about my dogs snarfing down my food.

NOTE: Take your time with this trick and don't TEASE your dog with the leave it command

What You Need:
-treats
-toys

Step 1:
Grab a treat and show your dog. Close your fist over the treat and let your dog sniff at it. Don't say anything at this point just wait. Your dog will most likely lick, nibble, or paw at your hand. Some dogs are more persistent than others so just be patient. The second the dog loses interest in the treat, click and reward.

Step 2:
Once your dog understands that he is supposed to turn away from the treat, you can say leave it as your close your fist. When your dog turns away, click and treat. Repeat many times.

Step 3:
It's like step 1 but put the treat on the floor and before your dog can eat it, cover it with your hand. He might be persistent, but wait until he loses interest.

Step 4:
Say leave it before you cover the treat with your hand. Click and treat if your dog turns away from the treat.

Step 5:
Repeat step four multiple times and at one point when your dog understands fully what you mean by leave it, he wont even go up to sniff the treat in your hand or the one your are covering. Click and jackpot if he doesn't even go up to sniff the treat.

Step 6:
Same thing but cover the treat for a second and then uncover it. Click your dog for not going for it.

Step 7:
Increase duration and distraction and proof the behavior such as asking him to leave a toy alone when you throw it or drop a treat and ask him to leave it. Don't go too fast and don't be afraid to make it easier if he messes up.

----

Tip! Dogs can get bored during training and will lose their focus on you. Surprise them by using a variety of different treats and switching out toys for food or vice versa. By being unpredictable, their focus will be on you.

--

Build on it! »
Teach your dog 'Impulse Control' using leave it.