A6. Drop It

Drop it is very helpful when playing fetch or teaching tricks such as stack cups or throw the trash away.

Method 1)

Materials:
-toy
-treat/another toy

Step 1) Throw the toy for your dog and ask him to fetch. As he comes back, show him the treat/toy. When he drops the toy, praise, feed the treat if you're using treats, and throw the toy again.

Step 2) same thing as step one but before you present the treat/toy, say 'drop'

Step 3) This time do not present the treat or toy instead say 'drop'. If he drops it, praise lavishly, jackpot, and throw the toy again. If he doesn't drop it, then present the treat or toy and go back to step 3.

Step 4) Once your dog is dropping on command, you don't need to have the other toy or treats. Instead reward the dog by throwing the toy again. If you are going to stop playing fetch with him, then tell him drop and give him a treat before taking it away. You don't have to, but some dogs stop dropping it because they think the game is going to end.

Method 2) ~Works for tugging~

Step 1) Tug with your dog and when you want to end, stop pulling on the toy. The dog will eventually get bored that you are not tugging and drop it. Praise lavishly when he does and allow him to tug again.

Step 2) When he drops it immediately after you stop tugging, you are ready for step two. Say the cue 'drop' before you stop tugging. Praise when he drops and reward him with the toy.

Step 3) Instead of not tugging, try saying only the verbal cue. If he drops it on cue then praise him a lot and play with him. You could even give him a treat too. If he doesn't drop it, then go back to step 2 and try again when you think your dog is ready.

----

Tip! Dogs can either be toy-motivated, food-motivated, or both. Find which your dog is and use that in your training.

Build on it! Teach: Stack Rings