A3. Stay

The way I teach stay is the fastest, most reliable stay you'll ever get. This takes time so do not rush it. And keep some low calory training treats nearby ;)

What You Will Need:
-plenty of treats
-a dog that knows a trick/command (such as: sit, bow, lie down, sit pretty, etc)
-toys
-food

Step 1) Put your dog into a sit/any other trick (start with something easy). Say "stay" and every second click and treat, rewarding your dog for remaining still. Here you can begin to lengthen out the time before you click. You're goal for step 1 should be 5-15 seconds. Take your time when training this. It doesn't happen overnight.

Step 2) You will need a release cue to tell your dog that they are able to get up, out of the position you put them in. Here are some common words you can use: "release" "free" "break". You can use "ok" but it can be confusing to your dog because that is a word we commonly use. It is best if you don't use "ok" but it's your choice. To add the release cue, put your dog in a stay and and once they have stayed for however much you want (don't do it to long when starting this) say your release cue and if your dog comes to you, reward. If he doesn't encourage him to come and reward him when he does. Do not encourage him while you say the release cue if not he'll learn that (for example) if you pat your knees, he can break from his position. Eventually he'll learn that the release word means he can get up and come to you.

Step 3) After you're dog has learned the release cue, you can begin adding handler distraction. Start easy and small by just (for example) just lifting up your foot and eventually harder by (for example) doing a funky dance move while going farther away and behind your dog. Click as your doing the distraction and click when your dog stays. If your dog ever breaks his stay, put him back in the position and do a distraction again, but not as difficult; don't reward him when you put him back in the position because then he might break his stay and go back into the position just to receive a treat.

Step 4) You also need to add vocal distractions. Never say one of your dog's other known commands, but feel free to say random words in a very enthusiastic manner. This teaches your dog that no matter what you say, he can't get up unless you release him.

Step 5) If your dog is food/toy distracted, you have to teach him that in a stay, they cannot get up even if food or a toy is thrown.
For toys: Put your dog in a stay and pick up the toy. Click and treat if he doesn't react. You can begin working up to throwing the toy (ex: drop the toy, roll the toy, squeak the toy, wave the toy around your dog, drop it next to your dog, etc) Remember to go SLOWLY!
For food: First begin by bringing out the treats; click and treat when she doesn't react. Slowly work up to putting food (any food!) next to your dog and she won't move to get it. (Ex: drop the food, throw the food, put it near your dog, shake the treat bag, roll the food around, etc) WORK SLOWLY!

Step 6) Begin asking friends or neighbors that you know to walk past your house (with their dogs if they have one). Slowly begin to teach your dog to stay with dog and people distractions.

Step 7) Begin working on all the above in different places such as the dog park, outside, a friend's house, etc. work slowly and for safety issues start WITH a leash and eventually work up to no leash.

TIP:
Work at your dog's pace. Notice the signs that your dog is comfortable with the stage you are at.

(This command has worked wonders for me. Cookie now won't even twitch if I shove different foods and such in front of or beside her. She also doesn't react to dogs and people walking by when we're training at the park.)