1

Leaves were just starting to fall from the trees, turning from their bright greens to various reds and oranges before blackening and falling to the pavement of the roads in Columbus. The air was brisk, and it hit Josh's face, turning his nose almost as pink as his hair. He pulled his scarf up over more of his face and stuffed his hands in his pockets, making his way to the high school. It was his senior year and, to be honest, he couldn't wait to graduate. Then he could finally move out and maybe, just maybe, make a living off of playing his drums and enjoying a job for once. Maybe he could even get an apartment with Tyler...
Well speak of the devil-or, angel, rather.
"J'shwa!" The younger boy called out with a bounce in his voice. Josh looked up from the sidewalk and smiled, his scarf falling down his face.
"You're awfully cheery for it being so damn early." Josh teased with a yawn. Tyler laughed and shrugged a little, a grin growing on his face.
"What can I say? It's the first of October! And you know what that means."
"Right, right. 'Spoopy month.'" Josh made air quotes with his hands and Tyler giggled again, puffs of breath forming in the air. Ever since they met, Tyler had always loved Halloween and, within the last two years, began calling it the "spoopy month", whatever that even meant.
"Exactly!" Tyler was bubbling with excitement and he jerked his head towards the school, indicating for Josh to follow.
"Did you hear they're having the Halloween dance at the orchard this year?" Tyler asked absently as Josh looked over.
"Huh, really? You gonna ask Jenna to go with you?" Josh smiled but it wasn't a very real one. Jenna was nice, but the thought of someone else being close to Tyler like that tightened his chest. And that tight feeling constricted when Tyler's cheeks turned a bright red.
"I don't know...maybe..."
Josh looked away, hiding his disappointment. But he quickly changed his expression and looked back before Tyler could question him.
"You should, dude. Just go for it."
So Tyler nodded, and Josh's heart broke a little more.