2

The bell rung and jolted Josh from his thoughts. He looked down to his paper and could even physically see the point where he stopped writing notes on Trigonometry and started writing out music when he zoned out. He ripped out the page and stuffed it in his pocket-maybe he'd show Tyler later. After all, music came naturally to both of them and if anyone could improve it, it was the younger boy.
Josh followed the crowd out of the room and weaved through the throngs of people in the hall as he made his way to his locker to get all the books he'd need for his ass loads of homework he'd been assigned for tomorrow.
He was so distracted by gathering his things that he didn't hear Tyler approach him from behind and he jumped when a loud "Boo!" was yelled in his ear.
"Fucking hell, Tyler!" Josh spun around on his heel, his voice filled with mock anger but a slight smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.
"Gotchya." Tyler hummed and leaned against the cool metal of the lockers. "But speaking of being scared, how about a horror movie night after school on Friday?"
Josh deadpanned. "Tyler, it's only the first week of October."
"Your point being?" Tyler leaned in just slightly, giving his friend the best puppy dog eyes he could muster. The older boy sighed and resisted rolling his eyes.
"Fine, fine. sounds good. But on one condition." Josh added as he raised his finger.
"Which is...?"
"Here." Josh handed over the crumpled up paper with the music written messily on it. Tyler straightened it out and scanned over it, a grin growing as he did so. Then he began reading it again, humming this time, then again, adding lyrics.
"'Wish we could turn back time...to the good ol' days...when our mom would sing us to sleep but now we're stressed out.' Dude! That drumbeat is sick!" Tyler looked up at Josh with a smile who'd been watching him with affectionate eyes. "Can you write more?" He asked, bouncing up on his toes.
Josh shrugged and smiled, taking the paper back. "I can try."
"Perfect."
Tyler's grin widened and Josh thought for just a quick moment that maybe it wasn't his writing that was perfect, but Tyler.