•two•

SAM'S POV

School is probably the worst the that the human mind has conjured up. I mean, did bullying really not exist back then? And, who says that all kinds learn at the same pace?

Humans are so overrated. We suck.

Speaking of sucking, Calum Hood is walking my way.

"Hey, Samantha!" He calls. I cringe. He knows that I hate my full name. I hate it when he uses secrets from our friendship against me.

"Why are you hiding? Did daddy hit you again?" He asks. A bunch of kids to my left laugh.

I look down.

"No?" He feigns surprise. "I guess he forgot. I'll just have to do it for him."

I gasp a little and look up, my blue eyes meeting his. They're the same chocolatey brown that I remember, but there's a tiny glint of hatred and confusion in them.

Along with happiness. A happiness I've never seen before, something so twisted...

He lunges toward me and grabs my wrist.

"Calum, please!" I exclaim quietly. "We don't have to do this again."

He pulls me close to him, and his warm breath tickles my face. Our noses touch, and I'm holding my breath.

"Yeah, I think we do." Suddenly, his knee is in my stomach and I'm fighting the urge to puke all over him. He pulls away and I double over, clutching my stomach.

"Why aren't you crying, Sammi?" He asks. That's what he used to call me when we were friends.

"Need another one?" The crowd laughs. His fist connects with my cheek and my vision tints red. I allow myself one little cry of pain. It's so quiet that I can hardly hear it.

"God, Samantha. You must get hit a lot, if you're not crying. Your family really does hate you." He smirks. "But I want to see your tears. Come on, now. Cry."

He kicks my kneecap and I crumple to the floor. The pain is almost unbearable.

"You freak." Calum spits, pulling me up by my hair. Everyone laughs again, but I notice one boy at the back of the crowd with his head hung. He looks up, and we lock eyes, but my head is pulled away again.

Calum punches me in the nose, and I hear a crack. My head feels like it's stuck in a vice. A bit of blood drops onto Calum's hand and he wipes it on my shirt. I just lie there, waiting for the end.

He kicks me in the side and I instinctively curl up. He pulls his foot back, and I close my eyes, waiting for the kick. I try not to think about the pain that's currently consuming my body.

The kick never comes.

"Hey, what're you doing!" Calum shouts.

"Leave her alone, mate." Another voice answers.

I look up at the tall boy with the blue eyes from my place on the floor. I don't know why this boy helped me. He could have stayed in the crowd, under the radar, but he came up to save me.

I half-smile. Someone cares.

"Why're you here, Hemmings?" Michael calls from the crowd. His voice has a twinge of uncertainty in it.

"Dunno, Mike, why are you standing around while your friend beats up this poor girl?" The tall boy responds.

Calum swats the boy's hands off of his shoulders and steps away.

"Listen, Luke, this doesn't involve you." Calum sneers.

"It doesn't involve any of these people," Luke gestures to the confused crowd of students. "Yet, they're here." He pushes Calum backwards the slightest bit and looks down at me.