Bronx Helps To Set Up His Father and His Best Friend

Pete was having difficulty dealing with the divorce. It had been said that Pete didn't want it. Patrick was over most days to help look after Bronx. Pete barely looked after himself, never mind a 4 year old. Bronx was sad that he didn't see his dad, but it made it better that Uncle Patrick was there everyday. Bronx and Patrick had a special bond. Being his father's best friend helped that. Patrick always found time to play with him, even when he was making sure Pete wasn't starving himself. He didn't come out of his room often.

Patrick and Bronx were watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles curled up on the sofa with an empty pizza box between them. It was getting late and Bronx was getting sleepy.

"Uncle Patrick?"

"Yes, Bronx?" Patrick smiled.

"Do you love Daddy?"

Patrick's face softened. "Of course I do."

"Because Daddy loves you. I heard him say it sometimes, when he used to fight with Mummy. He's happy that you're here."

"I know he is. You need to go to bed, young man."

"But I want to stay awake forever and ever. Like Daddy does." Patrick's heart melted a little bit. Bronx was so like Pete. Just as feisty, but just as clingy. "Please can I stay awake, Uncle Patrick? We haven't even finished the box set yet."

"One more episode and then sleep." Patrick promised. Bronx grinned widely, then yawned.

"Actually, I think sleep now." Bronx said and fell asleep next to Patrick. Patrick took him up to bed and tucked him in. He went back to the living room and fell asleep on the sofa.

*****

When Patrick woke up, he found a dark, tattooed arm wrapped around his waist and a mop of jet black hair on his chest.

"Pete, wake up." Patrick whispered.

"There you are, Daddy!" Bronx yelled through the doorway and promptly jumped on top of Pete and Patrick.

"Hey, buddy." Pete said sleepily, slowly getting off Patrick.

"Why were you sleeping on top of Uncle Patrick?"

"I couldn't sleep last night and Patrick always used to help me sleep so yeah.. I slept on the sofa.. with him."

Is it because you love him, Daddy?" Both Patrick and Pete blushed. "Because Uncle Patrick loves you too."

"I know and that's why we're best friends and that's why he's here. To make sure I'm still alive." Pete grinned. Patrick frowned and nudged his best friend.

"Don't joke about that." Pete looked at Patrick apologetically and then tried to lift the mood.

"How about some pancakes, bud?" Bronx's smile split his face.

"Fine, but I'm cooking," Patrick said, "I know if either of you two do it something will break."

"Do you not trust me, Pattycakes?" Pete pouted.

"No, I told you to stop calling me that, but it's good to see you're happier."

"Of course I'm happier. I have my lunchbox!" Pete put his arms around Patrick and scooped hi up in the air.

"PETE! Put me down! I'm trying to make pancakes here for your son."

"Sorry, Pat. I'll just go wait at the table." Pete walked away and Patrick shook his head. Pete was as much of a child as Bronx was.

*****

A few hours later and Bronx had been put to bed at a reasonable time, tired out from playing with his dad and Uncle Patrick, who, if you asked Bronx, just messed around with each other the whole time. Patrick and Pete had ordered pizza again and the boxes lay strewn around Pete's living room. They were sharing a blanket on the sofa, watching The Nightmare Before Christmas because it was Pete's favourite film.

"I'm glad you're up and about again." Patrick sighed.

"I am too. I'm sorry you had to see me like that and you had to put up with Bronx. He's supposed to be my kid. And of course, I wanted to spend time with you."

"I've seen you much worse. Bronx and I have a special relationship. We both love you and we want you to be happy. He's a smart kid, it's good to hang out with him." Patrick patted Pete's head.

"He is smart isn't he? He's worked some stuff out. I know he's been listening in to conversations he shouldn't have."

Patrick's breath hitched. "What kind of conversations?"

"Fights. Between me and Ashlee. Mostly about you." Pete said softly, absent-mindedly stroking Patrick's hair.

"What?!"

"People said it was you that caused the divorce. They're sort of half right."

"What...?"

"How could I love Ashlee when I love you! I thought it was just because we were always so close because we spend so much time together and touring and shit. But then I was with Ashlee and I loved her but it wasn't the same as how I felt about you. The dork with the shorts, socks and a hat. And then we're apart because of the hiatus and I miss you. And now look at you. Your hair's all blonde and you're all thin and you didn't do it in a good way I can tell, but you look good and that's what you wanted. You always looked good anyway but now everyone knows you look good and I rambling now but I just really love you, Patrick Stump." Pete looked into Patrick's eyes and frowned at the tears he found there. "What's wrong, Pat?"

"That's just so... beautiful. I can't believe you loved me for so long. We've been through some real shit, Wentz. And I am really glad that you are still here to tell the tale. You nearly left me, you fucker. And then what would I have done? Followed you, I guess, but that doesn't matter now. I love you too, you idiot."

Pete leaned his forehead against Patrick's. "Really?" His breath ghosted over Patrick's face. "You would have followed me?"

"Of course." Pete pulled Patrick's head closer to his face and gently pushed their lips together.

"I fucking love you." Patrick pulled Pete in again, harder this time until they were practically making out on Pete's sofa, Patrick lying on top of Pete, their mouths pushed together harshly.

A small cheer came from the direction of the staircase. Pete and Patrick pulled apart quickly to see two feet disappearing up the stairs.

"That cheeky fucker!" Pete exclaimed.

"Can tell he's yours." Patrick said.

"You know what else is mine?" Patrick raised an eyebrow. "You."

"You cheeseball."

"It's true!"

ok yeah im sorry i start with a great idea and it just goes bad but gold star to me for trying XD also this is nearly 2000 words im really proud