Soulmate au

AU where your soulmate has a glow around them.

Patrick and Pete had known each other for as long as they could remember. They weren't around other children much when they were very small, which is why it surprised Patrick on his first day of school that no one else had a glow around them. Patrick could see Pete's silver glow that made his eyes shine and his hair glitter, but everyone else looked dull and boring. He didn't know that it was different for other people.

"Why do you not sparkle?" Patrick asked another boy in his new class.

"It means we're not supposed to be friends." The boy replied. "That's what my mum said."

"Well that's stupid." The five year old said. "I'm Patrick."

"Brendon. That's my friend, Ryan over there. He sparkles because we're best friends forever."

Patrick walked out of his classroom at the end of the day to find Pete stood there waiting for him. Pete was two years above him in school and told Patrick he would help him find his way around. They walked home together and Patrick told Pete all about his new friends, Brendon and Ryan.

"Pete, why do you sparkle but Brendon doesn't? Brendon said Ryan sparkles but I can't see it."

Pete stopped and hugged Patrick. "Because we're best friends for life, Pattycakes." Patrick scowled at the nickname.

*****
As Patrick got into highschool, he understood why Pete glowed a bit more. To be honest, just watching Brendon and Ryan be together was enough to get the hang of it. They were on top of each other all the time. Patrick was a very angsty third wheel.

He didn't see Pete very much anymore. Pete was busy with football practice every night and then had to do homework etc and he never seemed to have time for Patrick. Pete had promised to watch out for him during his highschool years, but he was never there when the bullies were.

As Patrick's freshman year went by, he saw Pete more and more, with a different person on his arm every time. Then it started to get more regular, who he was with.

"Hey, Patrick! Do want to come over to mine tonight to play video games?"

Patrick's heart lifted as it always did when he saw Pete. "Yeah sure!"

"I hope you don't mind, but Mikey will be there too." Patrick's heart sunk.

"No its fine." He sighed. Why did Pete glow when Patrick clearly didn't? Maybe Pete just didn't want him. Maybe he just wasn't Pete's type.

*****
"Trick? Trick, are you awake?" Patrick stirred from his sleep due to the frantic whispers.

"Pete? It's 2am- what's wrong?" Patrick let Pete in through his window and saw the tear tracks on his face. Pete tackled him into a hug.

"I'm sorry, Patrick. I'm so sorry."

"What did you do? What's happened?"

"M-Mikey. He cheated on me. Of course, with his soulmate." Pete sobbed.

"I'm sorry, Pete."

"You shouldn't be sorry! I just wish he'd told me, rather than go off with Ray as well. But it was you. You have such a beautiful golden glimmer around you. Your eyes look such a deep blue and your hair, like a sunrise. It was always you and I blew you off. I went off with Mikey when I knew it was you. I didn't think you would want me. Your childhood friend who abandoned you. You deserve someone so much better, for an angel like you but I love you, Trick. I'm sorry."

"I love you, too, Pete. I kinda figured it was you from my first day at school. I don't want anyone else. I don't care what I deserve. I got you." Before Pete could say another word, Patrick crashed his lips on to Pete's, his thumbs stroking the cheeks where tears had fallen.

"You're so gentle. I don't want to break you." Pete said, worried.

"You won't."

"You sound so sure."

"I trust you. Best friends for life, remember?" Pete smiled. It had been a long time since that day. But he was glad Patrick asked the question. It had always been Trick.

Oops I tried to write and it went to shit.