Same Love ~ A Short Story

"Daddy?" I asked taking a seat on my daddy's lap.

"Yes, TT?" he asked placing his pen down. I watched as he massaged the wrinkles in his forehead and then took a deep breath.

"Baby girl, daddy is trying to work on a song. What is it?" he queried fixing me on his lap.

"Can you tell me about when you and mommy first met?" I inquired laying my head on his chest. I pulled my blanky closer to my body and popped my thumb in my mouth.

"I've told you the story a million times," he replied sitting back in his seat. He stroked my pigtails and sighed.

"Please?" I begged poking my lip out. He looked down at my chinky dark brown eyes and then sighed.

"It all started with a phone call and some concert tickets. I remembered hearing her voice for the first time. I thought she was a white girl," he stopped to laugh with me, as we did always when he told this story, and then continued on, "I thought her voice was so annoying. But then, I saw her for the first time. It was literally love at first sight. She was so beautiful. She had dark brown almond shaped eyes and a bright smile that lit up the whole room. When she looked at me I decided right then and there, I HAD to know her. I couldn't live my life without knowing everything about her..."

My daddy continued telling the story with emotion and emphasis, almost painting a picture for me like every time. When mommy told it, it was boring, but when daddy told it to me, it made me picture what it would be like to be mommy and meet my soul mate. It made me wonder if it would truly be anything like that...

__

"COME ON!! ISAIAH GET OUT OF THERE!!" I shouted banging on the bathroom door.

"TIERRA!! What did I tell you about banging on the door?!?!" my father's voice echoed through the house nearly knocking me off of my feet. I stared at him in fear and softly apologized.

"I don't want to have to tell you again," he said before he slammed the bedroom door shut. I folded my arms and tapped my foot impatiently as I waited for my older brother to get his ugly self out of the bathroom.

It finally swung open and he stood with a towel around his waist and his long curly hair soaked with water. I scoffed and narrowed my eyes at him.

"Faggot," I said pushing him out of the way. He gave me the finger and then went into his room humming his favorite song. I did my hygiene methodical and then tied my hair into a bun. I fixed my tee into a half shirt tying it with a hair bow and then jogged downstairs.

"Morning," Mommy said handing me a waffle with Nutella smeared on it. I took a bite and smiled.

"Morning," I replied warmly. My dad soon entered with his usual sweats and Polo on and kissed my forehead knowing that I hated it. I rolled my eyes and took another bite whilst taking a seat next to Isaiah at the breakfast table.

"Who wants to go with Jazz and Lexi to Fiji?" Mommy asked sipping her coffee. I looked up with bug eyes.

"I do!" I exclaimed with a mouthful of waffle.

"Not with those grades," Dad replied peeling a banana. I glared at him when he wasn't looking and then finished my food.

"Can I stay with Daequan and them?" Isaiah queried. "That is if we go?"

"Sure," Dad agreed shrugging. I had a few words I could've said to my father at the moment, but I was a punk. There was no way I would say it.

"I'm driving myself to school. Bye y'all," I said standing up. I walked towards the door and picked up my keys.