Chapter 8

We had a lot of fun the week of homecoming about three months before Rebecca disappeared. We were complete rebels: egging peoples houses, throwing bleach bombs, TP-ing the football players houses, and a lot more other things. Including running from the cops.

Three months before Rebecca's disappearance:

"Shh, Rebecca, we need to keep quite," I whisper- laugh. As per our usual we were drunk off our butts.
"But I don't wanna be quiet!" she yells at the top of her lungs.
Suddenly, I hear police sirens. "Rebecca, we need to run now!" I shriek as I grab her arm.
"Why?" she asks.
"Because the cops are coming," I laugh.
"The lets go," she says drunkenly. She can run surprisingly well for someone who's drunk.
We run down a couple side streets dodging the cops, and laughing our butts off.

"I- I can't believe that we're running away from cops," Rebecca laughs as we take a break from running.
"I know!" I giggle.
After that we kinda passed out, and awoke in the holding cell of the Marshall County Police Department.
"Hello, girls," a guy says.

"Who the hell are you?" I ask. Aw shit, I'm hungover.
"I'm Officer Jameson," he explains. "Why were you girls running from me and my partner?"
I'm about to answer when my dad's voice speaks first, "I want to know why the hell you are holding my daughter without probable cause."

"Excuse me, sir," Officer Jameson says, "but we are holding your daughter because she was running from the cops." 
"And your point is?" he quips. My dad can be pretty stubborn, and I get that from him. 
"Officer Jameson!" another cop calls out. 
"Yes, Chief Brighton?" Officer Jameson replies. 

"I want you to release these two girls effective immediately. We have no reason to hold them," Chief Brighton snaps. "I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, Jason." 

"That's all right, Tyson. I'm just gonna get these girls home. I'll see you Monday," my dad says as he leads us out. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dad never ratted us out to Rebecca's parents or my mom. Our philosophy was that whatever my dad bailed us out for was never repeated. That's how it always was until Rebecca disappeared.