V - Thalia - V

CHAPTER THREE

•  •    •  •

I FELT HORRIBLE leaving Caden and Maddie all alone in the park. Gray was called by my father to go to his office as soon as possible so that was where I went.

    Gray showed up half an hour after I had, meeting me in the waiting room outside of my father's office. My leg bounced as I grew impatient waiting for him to let us in. Gray's hand found its way to mine, weaving our fingers together for a few short seconds before the door swung open. A wealthy looking man walked out, locking eyes with me and smirking.

    Another deal made with the devil.

    I shared a knowing look with Gray, wondering to myself if this guy was going to listen to the rules or if he would be on my list to kill.

    My father poked his head out of the door, the second his eyes landed on me he called the man back, "I would like you to meet a couple people."

    The man began walking back towards the office, walking in first before Gray and I followed. I wanted to run at my father and hug him until he was turning purple, but around public eyes I was taught to restrain myself from any physical contact with him that might show him as a weakness.

    "Grayson, Thalia, this is Mr. Lochman," he said, I didn't bother to shake his hand so I just nodded my head.

    "Mr. Lochman," he began, "this is Grayson and his friend, my daughter, Thalia."

    He bowed his head just a fraction, adding a compliment as if it would do anything. "Lovely daughter you have, Charles."

     "That she is," he says not showing any emotion, "but watch out for her."

     "Why is that?"

     "She has a nickname everyone in Lorrel has become very accustomed to..."

     I smile knowingly as he asks, "What might it be?"

     "Does The Villain ring a bell, Mr. Lochman?" I ask, sickly sweet charm dripping in my tone.

     "You're The Villain," he asks, surprise evident in his tone.

     "Yeah, I am," I get up right in his face even though he's almost a head taller than I am, "And if you even think for a second you can get away with something that you think we don't know, I won't hesitate to mark my place on your face. Carving a nice signature on your face would be such a shame, don't you agree?"

    He nods breathlessly, I grin.

    "You are dismissed once more, Mr. Lochman," my father says.

    The door shuts, Gray chuckles next to me while my father just shakes his head and sighs, a ghost of a smile on his lips. I snicker to myself while he opens his mouth to reprimand me again, "You have to stop-"

     "Scaring the clients, I know, Daddy."

    "You have to admit, Charles, it's kind of funny," Gray says, sitting down on one of the comfy leather chairs.

     "Yeah, yeah, whatever," my dad says, opening his arms for me to run into. "I missed you, Tally."

     "I missed you too, Daddy," I say, hugging him tightly for a few seconds long before forcing myself to let him breathe.

    I walk over to the chair next to Gray and sit down, kicking my feet up on his desk.

    It's been three months since I've seen my father, the world renowned Charles Emmons, leader of a violent gang that I was born into.

    And I would most likely die in it as well.

    But death with the family was something you were proud of around here, whether it was in battle or an ambush, your were praised.

    Just like my mom was.

    I remember that day like it was yesterday.

    We all were gathered in the Great Room, where meetings were held, where we initiated people.

    Where we sent people off after they died.

     I was seated in the front row with my father, we were dressed in a royal blue, showing our respect for the queen, the mother of us all. All around us, people wore the color they thought described her. My little brother sat next to me, wearing a yellow shirt since he called her a ball of sunshine a lot.

     The clock struck midnight, the loud sound of a bell echos through he auditorium. My father stood up, walking over to the podium and standing there stiffly, staring down at the open casket where my mom lay. The black gown covered the array of bullet holes that were scattered on her chest. A black veil shilded my eyes from seeing the hole in between her eyes.

     The thought made a lump rise in my throat, I swallowed several times, trying to choke it down before I could burst out in tears. He opened his mouth to speak, shutting it immediately.

     He tried again, but unlike me he couldn't keep the sob down. A horrible, loud sob echoed through the entire room. He fell to his knees and that was it for me.

     I ran up on the stage with him, tripping over the hem of dress but I let myself fall next to him. Wrapping him with my small arms he wrapped his burly arms around my weak frame.

     We cried our pain into each other's arms.

     I coughed, shaking my head briefly before looking up at my dad. Stress lines were evident on his face, a few strands of white sprinkled his dark hair. But his gray eyes were still bright, his smile still lifted my spirit and his hugs were still gentle and familiar.

     "There's been a dickhead sitting in his comfy little chair in his dumb office staring down at the city like I'm not staring right back at him," I hear my father say.

     I smiled in amusement, the first year he gave me assignments I was as serious as he was. Now, after five years of doing this, the only thing I worry about is if the bloody idiot has backup for some reason.

     "Where am I getting him?"

     "He normally works in his office at the top of the Drier's Building till midnight."

     I checked my watch, 8:47.

     "What am I supposed to do for the next three hours?"

     "Go back to your place with Grayson and see what your roommate is doing."

     "What?" I asked, completely astonished he would tell me that.

     "I've been watching him for a while, loads of people want to know who The Villain is. Now that you're living with someone, I have to be sure it's safe."

     "Why couldn't I just live with Gray?"

     "Two of you in the same building is dangerous enough. Two of you in the same room out there is just absurd."

     Right.