Safety

I hid behind the door in the living room and listened as he opened the front door.
"Where is he?" Olivia's voice demand.

"If you're talking about Billie then he's not here."

"That's bullshit. I saw you pick him up, now get him out here now."

"Why?"

"Because I need him at home. He is cooking dinner tonight."

Please don't say anything about me, Tré, please...

"Well I'm sorry but we are going over very important music stuff, you wouldn't understand."

"Tell him that I want him home." She stormed away from Tré, got in her car and sped off. Tré slammed the door and returned to me.

"You okay?" He asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine."

He smiled reassuringly and patted my shoulder. "Right, we're getting pissed."

"Fine by me" I grinned sheepishly.

We started on beer, Tré had a surprising amount of it, then we opened some whiskey and rum that we found at the back of the cupboard. By 9:45pm I was bawling my eyes out while Tré attempted to console me in his drunken state.
"I don't want to be with her anymore" I sobbed into Tré's shoulder.

He rubbed my back, "then just break up with her." He slurred, "you don't need her, she's a fucking bitch, man."

"But we've been through so much, I don't know what I'd do without her."

"You'd be better off without her. She's poisoned y-you. You're not the same person you used to be, Billie... you're... you're different now, and that's because of her. I love you, man, but you have to end it with her."

"You love me?" I wiped my eyes, "well then we can just live together and w... we don't need anyone else, do we?"

Tré grinned, "nope, just us."

I laughed and threw my arms round him, ignoring my bruised ribs crying out in pain. "We won't hurt each other, will we?"

"Never." Tré hugged me back.

I pulled away and looked at him again. He was smiling at me, his eyes gazing into mine. It felt safe. Our faces were still only a few inches apart, so it didn't take much for me to lean in and kiss him quickly on the lips. His eyes widened a little, and when I retreated his eyes followed me. He didn't say anything, just smiled a little and went to kiss me back. I didn't hesitate to lean closer to him again and, with more force than intended, our mouths met once more. We stayed like that for a while, our lips the only point of contact and moving slowly.

As time went on, I hesitantly put my hand on his leg. He reached out and locked his fingers with mine and I gently placed my free hand on the back of his head.
It was strange but... I honestly have never been so at peace in all my life. It was quiet, calm and, even while my judgement was altered by the alcohol, amazing.