Chapter 2: Wolfe's Confession

[Wolfe]

I drove Erin home as she passed out in the church. Great! What will I do? I just created another fuss. How can I do this to her? I hated myself for it. I made her marry me and signed that fuckin' contract in that state. I swear I wanted to rip that pieces of paper but I just can't. I can't because it was still in the parish to be processed and signed tomorrow since we perform the rites so fuckin' late in the evening.

I was sitting at the edge of Erin's bed watching her sleep soundly. Honestly, I don't know what hit me that night we broke up. It just happened and as quick as that, everything we had turned into a wreck. I heaved a deep heavy sigh as thought starts to run in my head. About the company, Lio (my brother), my parents favor, and this marriage thing. When Erin finds out, she'll go crazy.

I get off my sit quietly to change place. I sat beside Erin and rested my back on the headboard. She moved a bit and now facing me. Her face upwardly tilted that made me gaze at her sleeping beauty, her arms shifted overlapping my left leg. That made me smile. For once after our relationship, I still got the chance to sit beside her and watch her sleep. If only she knew what happened. "I'm sorry Erin, I was left with no choice" I said softly as I run my fingers through her silky hair.

A sudden knock on the door and twisting of the knob came next. A woman wearing a fitted knee-length skirt with a matching upper top entered. It was Erin's mom, Tita Anika. I stood and greeted her as she came nearer.

She gestured 'it's fine' then sat beside her daughter as I remained standing to show respect. I had manners man.

"she's really stubborn, isn't she?" staring at her daughter. I just nodded at her question. She stood up "why don't we go down for a tea?" then stopped halfway and move her head side wards "and.. let's talk"

I turned back to Erin with my hands in my pocket heaving a breath. Something in Tita Anika's voice made me shiver.
I went down straight finding Tita Anika at the living room sat in posture while sipping tea on her cup then smiled as I walk down the stairs.

"have a seat, ijo" placing her cup down as she started to pour some tea in my empty cup "drink.. that's healthy"

"thanks Tita" I held my cup firmly uncertain on how on earth should I start to mention the unplanned, unintended marriage we had a couple of hours back with her daughter signing the contract in a drunken state. Shit. I really don't know.

"is there something you need to tell me?" just as I sip my tea my eyes widen and restrain myself from throwing up. But no matter how hard I tried, I'm too obvious.

I sat properly trying to be somehow formal since I married her daughter without their knowledge and consent. Kind of pampalubag-loob. "actually tita, there really is something I want us to talk about". She looks at me straight from the eye with a serious expression on her face, her thin lips like Erin's drawn in a straight line. "I don't know how to start and I did not mean of that to happen but it happened". Tita Anika did not even move an inch. I gulp as I continue "Erin and I..." I paused "we.. uh.."

"you're over" she stated. napatigilan ako bigla. Great! She knew that we're already over, so how on earth did we ended up getting married.

"yep" the only word I could say

she nodded "but?" she asked

"huh?" her question sends my mind to a frantic

"but?" she repeated

"yes we were now a complete stranger like what she always tell me. but, we got married" thinking those were the appropriate continuation for that "but" word

She remained silent after my confession. All she did was to pour more tea on her cup. There was a complete silence. Tita Anika never left my eye as if wanting more details.

"I know it's ironic.."

"Ironic. do you have any idea on how selfish your action is?" her words are strong yet her expression was blank. I can't merely tell what's running through her mind.

"yes. Yes, I know tita and I am more than willing to be responsible for my own action"

She grabbed her phone and punch in some numbers. "Letizia. Yes. I want you to cancel all my appointments tomorrow. Yes, including that of the Merced" giving me a quick glance as she speak of my surname "I think we'll be meeting tomorrow anyways. And do send someone to attend on my behalf for the annual ball this night. Thank you" she puts her phone down and turns to me "so, young Merced, how will you manage to tell my daughter that she was indeed a married lady when she wakes up?"

I was in deep thoughts really. Medyo naguguluhan ako sa kung paano mag-react si Tita Anika. Her daughter got married to her ex-boyfriend without them knowing but instead of being hysterical, here she is, so calm and relax. Kaya napapaisip ako, what's behind that blank expression? I need to know.

"if you still had no idea how to tell her, do you have the guts to leave them all to me?" I just stared at her not knowing what to say "well, I knew my daughter too well. I appreciate it if you give me the honor of announcing your sudden marriage. It wouldn't be a redundance on your part won't it?"

honestly, her words are just so powerful I stayed mummed the whole time she's talking. All I could do is nod. Never thought that Tita Anika is such a keen person, I mean, being Erin's boyfriend before I was catered with only their jolly-kind-cool-side. If Erin's mom's like this, how much more would his dad be like?

"it's already four in the morning. You can have your wife later this evening if you may. As of now, get rest and leave everything to me." leaving me petrified as her words replayed in mind.

"You can have your wife later this evening"

With the snap of her fingers I got back to my senses

"are you going to stand there the whole time and wait for Erin to see you?"

"no, ma'am"

"good. if she does, you know what'll happen."

"yes, ma'am"

"you go ahead. I'll tell Celest and Armaund what happened" all I could do is watch her disappear from the stairs and found myself standing all alone at this room where I confessed the selfishness that I did.