Chapter 7: The father's request

[Wolfe]

Isang oras pa bago ang dinner kasama ang pamilya ni Erin. Never kong naisaisip na one day, one of this days, something like this would happen.

We arrived at the venue, which happened to be owned by Beucorp, Erin's family corporation, two hours before the said time since tito Enriqo, Erin's dad wanted to talk to my parents, and me, primarily. We were directed at a huge function hall that can cater almost a thousand guests.

Pagbukas namin sa napakalaking pinto, we were welcomed by Tita Anika who's wearing a very sleek, body-hugging black dress which
really suits her for having such a fit body and a tall man in a suit and tie, which I assumed to be tito Enriqo. Man, he's quite a well-figured man with strong physique.

"Armaund!" he greeted my dad with a manly hug "Celest" while mom just nod as she smiled to tita Anika "Why don't we sit?" leading us to that long table at the center.

Parents will always be parents. Talking elderly stuff stuff, business and all so I ended up shutting myself looking outside the glass wall of the hall which exposed the half of the city. I glance at my watch to see that it was already 05:25 pm.

"where on earth she could be?" I mumbled as I stuck my hand on my pocket to pull my phone when I heard someone talk beside me.. It was Mr. Buenafe, Erin's dad.

"where were you?" hands in his pocket facing the city scape. He's talking via Bluetooth headset "do you have any idea on how long I've been sitted in this table waiting for 06:00pm to arrive, young lady? Howd'you want this family dinner to start?" I assumed he was already talking to Erin. "be here in twenty, enough for you to race with time since you wasted so much". My eyes widen as I heard how he gave command to Erin. "That's fine young man, if you want a girl or a lady to follow you, you need to be authorative most of the times" as he turns to me

"how can she be here in that short span of time?" worried that she might be in trouble or accident for rushing

"don't worry son, I know my daughter. She's a one heck of a racer" then he chuckled as he looks at me "don't you know?" his expression changes from serious "tsk. tsk. tsk. A boyfriend for four years and a husband just yesterday, standing beside me looking so obvious that he hadn't have much enough idea about my daughter yet?" shaking his head

I cleared my throat as he left me with no words to say. It's a bit of reality that I knew nothing about her except for the things I see in her when we're together. Like when she played that guitar and sang a song in front of many people. I thought she had this low self-esteem and confidence but I was wrong. Like when she created a scene at a bar when she caught me doing.. oh shit! never mind that! How I never seen those coming. Parang naging unfair ako for thinking that she's not capable of doing anything else.

"so tell me, young man, how did you ended up getting married with my youngest? Is this some kind of a scheme?" Tito Enriqo said in a serious tone but the last words ended up with a grin that made me think he was only joking on that, yet, my jaw dropped for seconds hearing those words. It's like they were some sort of mind reader. They sure know that this was a bit of a plan pero hindi naman as hinihintay lang nilang sa bibig mo manggaling mismo because I am not stupid para ilaglag ang sarili ko dahil alam ko once I get caught my family will suffer in a much worse situation.

Napalunok ako on how I can't find the right words to answer. Na-blangko yung utak ko, nahihiya dahil alam ko sa sarili ko that was really a part of this marriage. T'was my own scheme to save my family and our company from the verge of breaking down. A scheme that need not no objection from my dad since he take this as a big opportunity, a "fortune" like he said. And mom? She can't do anything when dad tells her to. So yea, in our family, we were like robots where dad was the only one in control.

"I can sense that you are quite intimidated? Why is that?"

"no, Mr. Buenafe.. I was just in deep thoughts on how can I answer your question satisfyingly" his expression never change "actually, hindi po talaga namin ginusto eto, pareho lang po kaming naipit sa sitwasyon. I never wanted to marry your daughter like that. Drunk and out of control. I may sound selfish but I grabbed that chance of her asking me to marry her dahil mahal na mahal ko ang anak nyo and since she broke up with me that same night, she wouldn't even give me another chance to prove myself. I'm sorry if she once caught me cheating on her, but that night, I was so miserable because of dad's and I can't take it to her. I respected your daughter so much sir, all I want now is for this sudden marriage to work out" and I'm kinda losing my breath for saying that too long

"well said, young man. I can't argue with that. Making mistakes are sometimes needed for us to learn but I won't allow you to hurt my daughter again. Once is enough. Whatever your problem with your dad, you won't think of that anymore. What I wanted you to do is understand my daughter and keep her happy. She might be naive sometimes, hard-headed and stubborn, no doubt. But if you gain her trust again, you know what its like I bet. That will be my only request. No matter what happens, stick to her."

do you think nakumbinsi ko sya sa mga sinabi ko? His expression was vague, I can't read it. But I hoped I did since lahat ng sinabi ko to totoo naman talaga and the way that Tito Enriqo talks, he's giving me this benefit-of-the-doubt. He's like implying that being a part of their family isn't an easy thing. I still need to prove myself to them. But asking me favor like that, I guess.

"Mr. Buenafe.."

"Let her in" he said then turns to me "she has arrived" but before he could walk towards the dining table he muttered "dad.. call me dad since you were now my daughter's husband"

I looked at my clock again, surprisingly she made it. I was amazed by Erin again and that added to my list of "Erin's special skills." And as that door opened, all I could see is my future standing in the middle looking so perfectly beautiful. If only she knew how my feelings for her never changed.