Chapter 5: The unexpected FAMILY dinner

[Erin]

The sound did not stop as I realized, it was my phone ringing.

"who could this be?" fishing out my phone from my bag which I grabbed at the other end of my bed. My mom's face flashing on my screen so, yeah, it's her calling.. I rolled my eyes before answering. I quite hated her for not telling me the dreadful fact that I am eventually married to a guy who happened to be my "ex", yes, I would like to emphasize that two-letter word because he's kinda like that to me even though we're married

I slided my thumb to answer that unnerving call which was either unexpected nor unwanted.

"Erin"

"have you seen my note?"

"stuck on the right side of my lampshade just beside my table. A scribble written in a white sticky note, yes."

"good. Be on time."

"need to decide on your invitation for dinner first" glaring at my nail art

"what are you talking about? You only have an hour to prepare and you're telling me that you still need to think it over? and why is that?"

"oh sh.." looking at my clock. I really only had an hour left

"you better get going young lady or else, I will flip you on that bed!" gosh! so, she's mad now? diba dapat ako yung galit? Wow ha. and how does she even know I'm on bed? Mom's kinda weird sometimes. "wear a nice dress please! I don't want to see you on a ragged outfit"

I ended up mom's call, if not, it will be a whole new wardrobe lesson for me.

I went to the bathroom giving myself a cool bath since the weather outside is kinda hot. I wasted my time lying on the tub because I really don't plan to show up. Alam ko magagalit si mommy kung hindi ako pupunta, pero wala akong pakialam. It's my way of rebelling.

Time check: 05:25pm. Thirty-five minutes more. Suddenly, my phone rings. It is from an unknown number. Nagdadalawang isip akong sagutin but I ended up answering it since the caller is quite persistent. He called me six times though I was ignoring it.

"Erin" I greeted. That's how I normally answer my calls

"where were you?" a husky voice of a man asked. No way! Mom's serious about the dinner. I knew his tone too well.

"still changing.. dad"

"do you have any idea on how long I've been sitted in this table waiting for 06:00pm to arrive, young lady? Howd'you want this family dinner to start?"

"sorry dad.. I thought mom was kidding with that dinner thing"

"be here in twenty, enough for you to race with time since you wasted so much" then he drops the call just like that

Great! What will I do now?

I pulled out a denim body con dress from my wardrobe. I can't think of any dress to wear since I'm on a rush. I grabbed a pair of ankle-high wedge boots and a studded clutch where I transferred my things. I pushed my hair up to a bun leaving some strands down since fashion nowadays are messy, it won't be obvious that I hadn't comb my hair. I was running like crazy regretting taking a bath too long. Before I went down, I went back to my closet pulling out a cardigan that goes with the denim dress.

I drove off to the hotel aware that I only had ten minutes left.
"damn it"

06:01pm I arrived at the hotel trembling. It's just a minute, Erin. I hopped off the car giving the valet my key. I see my dad's secretary, Mr. Galvez, at the entrance who happens to be waiting for my arrival to escort me in.