Chapter 6: Wolfe before the dinner

[Wolfe]

Pagka-uwi ko ng bahay after my confession with Tita Anika, hinintay ako ni mom and dad. Medyo nakapagtataka since they don't really wait for me, yea, sometimes, mom did, but dad? Never. Pagpasok ko palang ng foyer, nakita ko na si mommy who is standing by the deep seated couch where dad lays. I just smiled at mom as I make my way to the stairs.

"that's too rude of you not even bothering to greet your mom nor I as you arrive" dad's authorative voice said imperatively

I turn my back in a lazy-tiring manner not knowing if I were to tell them what happened or not since Tita Anika told me she will and the looks of it, she already did. "mom, dad, I'm here. Is that what you want to hear?" I mumbled

why dad is in a good mood hindi nya man lang sinita ang pabalang na pagsagot ko. Instead, he stood up grabbing a glass and a wine in the counter. I rolled my eyes at the thought that we've been suffering too much because of his too many vices.

"well, you made a great move, son" tossing up the wine glass for a cheer "that's quick"

"Wolfe, what happened back there I need you to tell.."

"aah.." dad groaned "there's no need for a story-telling! Can't you just be glad that he found a way of putting our company back in line?!" cutting mom before she could finish

I was deeply sadden with the thought that Erin and I got married in a very very tragic time of my life. How I regret the fact that because she was too persuasive she even threatened the priest, I married her though I know it was only the mere effect of alcohol in her body that made her that way. But at the bottom of it, I still did knowing that it was the only way I could pull my family from the hell of misery that dad brought us.

"so, you don't need to hear more from me then, obviously you knew it too well already" I turn my back at them trudging my way up.

"I'll let you pass this time, Wolfe, since you brought too much fortune in this family" drinking his wine "you better get yourself ready to meet Erin's dad"

I halted at the thought that I would be meeting his dad finally. We've been in a relationship for almost four years and I just knew him by Erin's story about him. I sure know his face since Erin has his photo on her wallet and in her phone's gallery. Mr. Buenafe only gets the chance to bond with his family when he gets to attend some business conference in Asia. He usually drops by using their private jet so no wonder he could afford to travel as soon as he wants to never worrying about delays.

"I'm sure Enriqo would be delighted to see us later for dinner"

That was the last words of my dad before I disappeared from the stairs.

"how would he be delighted seeing us when this was so much for a sudden marriage of his youngest?! Damn it!" as I throw the basketball ball in the ring hammered at the back of my door.

I grab my phone thinking if I were to call Erin or not. of course, I need to tell her but I gave my word to her mom that I'll let her do it.

Time passed by so quick ni hindi ko namalayan it's almost 10 in the morning. Obviously, how would I know when I've been too lazy to pull up my curtain.

Napalundag ako mula sa pagkakahiga nang maalala ko yung tungkol sa marriage contract na pinapirmahan samin nung pari. "shit! baka nasabi na ni tita kay Erin. No. hindi pwedeng maunahan nya ako sa kontratang yun. Yun lang ang magiging tanging panghahawakan ko" sabi ko sa sarili ko grabbing that same jacket I wore last night.

I went straight to the church not minding what would father think of me. Ashamed, I went on as I spotted him at the altar doing some priestly stuff.

"Good morning, father" I greeted "gusto ko lang ho sanang.."

"oh, ijo, ikaw pala? Aba, eh, kanina yung asawa mo ang nandirito?" he informed me with a smile

"kani-kanina lang ho?"

"oo. kaaalis nga lang, hindi na kayo nagpang-abot"

"ano pong ginawa nya rito?"

"naku. hindi ata maalala ng asawa mo na ikinasal kayo kagabi? Wala syang maalala dala ng kalasingan"

"ganun po ba?" gladly she did not make a scene. sabi ni father, all she did was to sit and looked at the altar then drove off "ah eh, father, binigay nyo ho ba sakanya yung marriage contract?"

"hindi ijo, pero may nagpunta na rito kangina at kinuha yun"

Naku. Patay. Sino kayang kumuha nun?

"babae rin. Kawangis ng asawa mo. Baka iyong manugang mong babae?"

Tita Anika had the contract. Such a very wise and quick move from her.. I know getting to their family will be that hard now since our company's flanctuating situation is not a small thing to deny. Now that I married their daughter, I did not hear any criticism but I'm not that dumb and numb to not know that they're already aware of what is happening. That made me rewind my conversation to Erin's mom at their house where I made my confession. That gave me a hint that she already knew.

"bakit ijo, hindi ba nasabi sa iyo na sya na ang kukuha? mukhang hindi ata maganda ang komunikasyon nyo sa isa't-isa?"

"hindi ho father, hindi lang ho siguro kami nagkaintindihan" pasinungaling kong sagot. Sorry Lord, sometimes I need to lie to save myself.