Chapter(5)

Kariah

"And he just walked out?"I nod as Peaches keeps asking me questions about Marquis and I.Peaches is my one and only female friend.Well she's my only friend actually,which makes her my bestfriend.I just told her about what happened the past week.She was on,punishment last week when I was in the hospital,so she didn't have her phone to text me and see if I was okay.It's cool with me, 'cause I know she was worried about me,and that's all I need to know.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiing

I sigh as I get my books from my locker,grabbing Peaches' arm,I drag her to our homeroom.She tries planting her feet on the ground before we walk in but I yank her so hard,both of us almost fall as we make it in the door.Mr.Arson looks at us from under his glasses.

"Nice to see you both in class again.Take a seat ladies."I roll my eyes and head to the back where we usually sit.Peaches is talking to some boy up at the front.She being a hoe again.

"Peaches quit being a hoe and come sit down!"She turns red as everyone in the class looks at her.She quickly rushes to her seat,next to me. "Y'all ain't gotta stare at her,damn"

"Don't try and embarrass me and then stick up for me."She gives me her best stank face and gets on her phone.Whatever,she'll be over it in an hour.

"Alright class.We'll be continuing on our book projects.Get with your group,or partner and get to work."Everyone moves around to sit by their groups I guess.Peaches and I sit still,unaware of what to do. "Ms.Court,Ms.Gillen,please come here."

I get up and follow Peaches down the aisle to his desk.He's moving papers around his desk,looking for soomething I guess.

"Last week we started a book project.In the project,all students are supposed to read a book,a different book than their partners.Then,I want subjective summaries on all three/two books.Compare&Contrast them.Identify all types of figurative language and what affect it has on the reader.Lastly,do text-to-world,text-to-media,text-to-text,and text-to-self."I just stare at him once he finishes.He lost me after he said read a book.I honestly don't know what he said after any of that.

"So,is it just us two as partners?"Peaches asks.I look at her,still in my daze.She heard all that?Shaking my head,I clear my brain to listen to whatever else he has to say.

"Well,no."I frown "You'll have one more person in your group...Xavier Johnson.He's new here,and I'm not sure wher-"
The door swings open and in walks a little boy.Correction,and in walks a tall ass boy,er I mean young adult..or whatever. He walks over to where we're talking and places a slip of paper on Mr.Arson's desk.

"Sorry.I had to take care of my sister."He mumbles and begins to walk away,before Mr.Arson calls him back.

"Mr.Johnson,these two lovely ladies will be your partners for the project.I expect y'all to be on your best behavior." He narrows his eyes at me.

"Yeah,yeah,that too." I wave him off and walk back to my seat.Reluctantly,Xavier follows us and takes a seat in the row in front of ours.He turns the seat around and gets out some paper.Slowly,I take in his appearance.He's really cute,honestly.He has brown,coffee colored skin,bright green eyes,a pearly white smile with a dimple in both cheeks.

"Like sumn you see?"He snaps,pulling me out of my trance.I roll my eyes at him

"Boy no,if I did I'd make it known."I smirk.

"Yeah okay shortie..keep ya eyes to yourself."

"Okay!Let's get started..what book are y'all going to read?" Peaches asks,as she grabs this thick book from her bag.No wonder it's always so heavy..that thing must way a ton.

"The project itself is a lot to do.Why read a big book that'll take up most of your time?"I ask,it's more pointed to Peaches than Xavier.

"I'm halfway done with it Kariah!"She pouts.

"Actually,if you read a larger,more complex book you have more to fill in on the project,that way you won't have any difficulties when you're doing the actual project."I glare at Xavier,and mentally growl at his stupid idea.Now Peaches is going to force me to read some big book that I don't have time for.This kid is going to be a problem,I already know.

"Well,we'll let Peaches read the complex book,you can read one too,if you want.But Me?No,I'm going to read a Dr.Seuss book thank you."Y'all think I'm kidding?I'm serious,I already know which book of his I'm going to read.

"Uhm,no you're not.You're going to read this."She goes back in her bag and pulls out a smaller,but still thick,hard cover book.Placing it on my desk,she smiles brightly.Cautiously,I pick it up and look at the title,Hunger Games. What kind of crap?

"Peach,what the hell is this?"Who in their right mind would title a book,Hunger Games? Were they hungry or some shit?

"Uh..I think it's a book."I almost slap Xavier across the face.

"I know it's a book you retard.Will you just shut up?" I turn back to my oh so lovely bestfriend and put it back on her desk
"I'm not reading this."

"Like hell you are."She puts the book in my bookbag and rolls her eyes.Okay,I am reading the book then.

"So you got a book in there for me sweet cheeks?" I raise my hand to slap him,but someone beats me to it.

"Peaches!" I gasp. "I didn't know you had it in you.I'm so proud of you!"

"Yeah,yeah whatever,let's finish here."She grumbles,as Xavier rubs his cheek with Peaches' hand print,stamped on it.