The Promise Chapter 19

The Promise

Chapter 19

Nikki’s POV

I wished last night was just a bad dream, but it was reality. I didn’t cry, I didn’t throw things, I just sat there for a minute, stunned. One tear slid down my face, but I told myself that I’m a strong girl, and Blaine Roy didn’t deserve tears, ever.

Grandma didn’t ask what happened, didn’t ask if I was upset, didn’t say “I told you so”, nothing at all. She did act differently though. She ordered room service and ordered movies. She did my nails and put cucumber slices on my eyes. I think our fight is over, but there’s still that little tension that won’t go away not matter how much I try to get it out of my mind. As I packed up my clothes and made sure I didn’t leave anything, grandma walked into the hotel room, smiling and flustered.

“Are you okay?” I ask, hiding the smile that’s playing on my face.

“Of course I am,” Grandma replied back breathlessly. “I just had a problem downstairs with one of the workers about us not paying for room service when I did, but a man took care of it for me.”

“And was this man . . . young?”

“Heavens no,” Grandma replied back quickly. She blushed deeply and walked over to her suitcase, making sure everything was there. “He was a little older than me, very intelligent.”

I look over and see a piece of paper sticking out of the back pocket of her jeans. I take it out and examine a paper with what looks like a phone number on it. I look up at her as she turns around. “This wouldn’t happen to be?”

“Give me that,” Grandma says taking it out of my hand, blushing deeper than ever. “He just gave me his number if I ever want to talk about my divorce with your grandfather.”

“Why would he want to hear about that?” I ask, my eyes narrowing a little. I can’t help it, he’s my grandpa and she’s my grandma. I don’t want to share her with some man, not yet.

“He went through a divorce as well if you must know. I might take him up on the offer as well- don’t give me that look, Nikki.”

 “You’ve only talked to this guy for what? Five minutes? I don’t see why you told your whole life story to a man you barely know. If you like him, just tell me instead of protecting me like I’m a child.”

“Fine then,” Grandma said, her tone changing to ice. “I think I should get to know this man and I don’t need you or Jake’s approval either. Now are you ready to go?”

I check my watch, ten forty-five. There’s no way Jake will be able to clean the house in time. I nod my head, sighing. He’s going to get in so much trouble and I’m probably going to get the icy tone for the rest of the day.

As we head into the lobby, I notice an older man and a woman next to him looking at me and grandma. The woman laughed and smacked him lightly on the arm and they both watch as grandma heads out to the car, pretending she didn’t notice him.

I stare at him, knowing fully well that this is the man that gave my grandmother his phone number. Just to be sure, I dial his number into my cell. I hear ringing, then without a moment to waste, I see him fish his phone out and say hello.

“You better take good care of her, you hear?” I say to him, still staring straight at him.

He stares back at me, shocked. He glanced at the phone then back at me, then slowly nods his head. I hang up my cell and nod at him. I walk out to the car, carrying Clark in his dog bag in tow. When I get in the car, I can see grandma slowly breathing in and out.