Chapter 30

Tyler turned to see if Kaylin was following after them. But again, she stood frozen. Her eyes stared ahead in the direction the gunshot came from.

"Kaylin, come on!" Tyler shouted as another gunshot ricocheted off the walls of the big house. More screams were released into the air and the room grew rapid. People began to push and shove each other over, attempting to save themselves first and whoever they came with later. Kaylin stared ahead as the gunshot sounded. It was physically impossible to move.

Tyler studied her with great intent as the crowd rushed passed him. He didn't know what she was planning on doing, but by the look on her face he could tell that it was something stupid. And as soon as this thought crossed his mind, Kaylin threw herself forward in the direction the gunshot came from. Tyler immediately became alert, quickly positioning himself in front of her. She bumped into him as the dark room quickly began to clear out. Here, he grabbed her by the shoulders. She desperately tried to struggle free.

"Move, Tyler!" she yelled through her struggle. She attempted to push him but he grabbed her wrists at his chest.

"Are you crazy, Kaylin?!" Tyler responded once he finally got her still.

"I can't leave my brother up there," she said solemnly.

"Look Kay, we'll call for help on our way out."

"Aye!" The two teenagers gazed across the room near the front door and were able to see Jordan impatiently waiting. "We gotta go now! Somebody just called the cops!"

"Hey," Tyler softly said as he turned back to Kaylin. "He'll be okay. He's Anthony. And the one thing me and Anthony have in common is that we'd both be devastated if you ever got hurt. Let's go." For a moment, everything grew still. At least in Kaylin and Tyler's world. But then a husky voice shouted, "Yo, get out the way!". And the two came back to reality. Silently, she complied, and they rushed out of the house with several others who hadn't had the fortune of being the first ones out.

Out in the yard, red cups were scattered about and people hectically rushed over to their cars. The sound of engines roaring and tire rubber scraping the pavement filled the teens' ears as they made their way towards Tyler's car.

Tyler hopped into the driver's seat of the vehicle while Jordan and Kaylin slid into the back.

"Everybody in?" Tyler asked as he looked up into the rearview mirror. The first thing he noticed was Kaylin's perspirated face. She hugged herself as she uncontrollably shook; either due to the cold winter air, or fear from the situation she was currently in. Instantly, his heart fell, and he completely forgot about what he had witnessed when he first got there. All he wanted to do was comfort her. Seeing Kaylin, his emotionally strong best friend, the girl who always kept her feelings guarded, become so vulnerable so quickly, undeniably broke his heart. He looked down the road ahead and sighed as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

Sirens blasted ahead in the distance, and a big, red truck came into view. Jordan sat up taller in his seat to get a better look. An ambulance travelled a few feet behind. "Let's take off," he suggested.

Tyler glanced in his rear view mirror once again before taking off to their part of town.

* * *

"Momma!" The door to Kaylin's house swung open and hit the inside wall of the house with a tremendous thud. It was nearing twelve A.M and it didn't take much for Kaylin's loud entrance and devastating cry to wake Mr. and Mrs. Jones up. "Momma!" she cried again. She began to pace around the living room of her dark house. Jordan and Tyler quietly entered the house after her.