Chapter 13

They were doing suicides. The girls varsity basketball team, that is. It was the most tiring drill there was, and even Kaylin, as athletic as she was, hated doing them. After drilling, the girls split up in teams of two and practiced. Each team had a chance to be both the defense and the offense. And each team had a chance to perfect the plays Coach Meyers and Kaylin had set up. Coach Meyers had told them that they would strictly be doing this for the next three practices.

At the end of practice, she caught Kaylin in the locker room as she packed up to leave. There were only a few girls left and they were all on their way out as well.

"Do you have the list?" Coach Meyers wasted no time in asking.

"Oh crap," Kaylin whispered in exasperation. She had forgotten all about the list. If it wasn't for Kendrick, she probably would've been able to do it at lunch. "I'm sorry, Coach. I keep forgetting. But I'll bring it tomorrow," she quickly said. "I promise."

"Alright," Coach Meyers said with slight disappointment. "It's getting down to crunch time, Kaylin."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Will this list work?" a small voice from behind them unsurely asked.

Both Kaylin and Coach Meyers turned around towards the voice. Ariyana stood there. Her hand was out and in it was a sheet of white paper. She handed it to Coach Meyers, who took it cautiously, but smiled after taking a simple glimpse of it. Kaylin looked down at it too. There was a border around the edge of the paper made of basketballs, and the heading of the paper read "GYM CLEAN UP HELPERS NEEDED THIS FRIDAY AFTER SCHOOL! VOLUNTEER HOURS AND SNACKS WILL BE PROVIDED!" Further down the paper were a list of names. Actual names! There were about ten of them and Ariyana beamed after seeing Kaylin and Coach Meyers gawk at it.

"This looks really nice!" Coach Meyers complimented. "And you already got volunteers!"

The fact that Ariyana had gotten volunteers wasn't the shocking part. The shocking part was how many she had gotten. Kaylin could usually only get five volunteers, but this girl had gotten twice as many as that. If that didn't make Kaylin look like bad captain, nothing did.

"I noticed Kaylin kept forgetting to bring hers in, so I decided to step in and help her out," Ariyana smiled.

'Help her out,' the words rang in Kaylin's mind. 'Yeah right'.

"Looking out for the captain!" Coach Meyers grinned. "I like it!"

Ariyana gave her one last smile before she headed out of the locker room after the coach.

She had to step up her game. On and off the court.

"Can Stephanie take me home?" Kaylin had asked Tyler as they walked out of the school shortly after.

"She's not picking me up."

"Your dad?"

"I'm driving Lauren's car," he declared. "We're going to Jordan's house, remember?"

"Oh yeah." Kaylin sucked her teeth and plopped down on the stone bench.

Tyler took the spot beside her. "Kendrick told me what happened in your third period today," he grinned humorously.

"I don't wanna talk about that," she responded, squinting away from the almost setting sun.

"Why didn't you hit him?" he inquired. "You should've hit him."

"I tried!"

"But?"

"Nathan pulled me away," she frowned. She wished she had the chance to deck him in the throat just one time. One good time was all she needed.