Not a Birthday

Maiko's POV

I was so glad that beach trip was over. I was just so tired. I didn't plan on doing anything for my birthday today, but I wouldn't refuse any offers.

Hideki already gave me a ride to school, though keeping the happy spirit was a challenge. "How is Ouran? Are people treating you okay?"

"Yeah, for the most part. There are always going to be people who don't like you, you know?"

I placed my head on his shoulder in an attempt to take a quick nap. "Maiko?"

"Mhm?"

He inhaled a large amount of air. "Were you really mad at me? At the beach concert? I know we fight sometimes and stuff but sometimes you're just joking."

The question caught me off guard. "At first, very. But I realized how dumb it was for me to be that mad at you."

He exhaled, relieved. "Okay."

"Why are you so worried about it now?" I asked. He never usually even gives our little quarrels a second thought.

"I -"

"Also, why have you been so nice to me?" I pushed myself up off his shoulder, trying to get a good look into his eyes. He wouldn't make eye contact with me. Something's up. When I thought about it more, it made sense. "Are you jealous?"

He opened his mouth then closed it. "You hang out with other people more than me now, so I just don't want our fighting to drive us further apart."

"AWWWWW!" I hugged him around his neck. "You're such a softie."

He laughed and pushed me off lightly, reaching under his seat for something. "Happy birthday, Maiko."

------------------------------------

I rushed out of the cafe, looking for Christiano. Where is he? UGHHH. I just remembered that he had to see his daughter in the hospital. How am I going to get to the range now?

Then I saw a slim figure with dark hair, glasses, and his eyes in his notebook as he wrote.

Why,

thank

you,

world.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, but not rudely.

He looked up and adjusted his glasses. "I'm here to pick you up."

"Did my father send you?"

A sly smile made its way across his face. "No, I came here on my own accord. We better hurry if you want to make it to the demonstration." I was too shocked to even ask how he knew so much. He already knew about Maid Latte, but how did he know I wouldn't have a ride? And the demonstration?

While I was in the back seat of the slick black car next to Kyoya, I turned to him. I was slightly annoyed that he was two steps ahead of me. But thankful for it too. "Is there something else you need, Maiko?"

"You're kind of a show-off, you know that?" I responded with a smile, imitating his natural bluntness. I could tell that it surprised him. "But I'm grateful for it right now."

--------

"Maiko, you made it." My father introduced me to possible customers, especially those with a lot of money. Other than Tatsuya, Hideki, and Kyoya, I forced myself to become acquainted with their sons (fathers rarely dare to bring their daughters); that is why the Kurosawa family is so well-known. My father showed no shame in having a daughter as a first-born. He flaunted it, actually. Even so, I take responsibility that any other first-born [male] of a prosperous family.