Okay Now a Birthday

Kyoya's POV

I rang the doorbell, adjusting my glasses, composing myself mentally. "What are you guys doing here?" She was wearing a black crop t-shirt with blue jeans.

"We are going to celebrate your birthday, Mai-chan!" Honey exclaimed.

She smiled weakly. "Thank you, but. . " she started to close the door. Subconsciously I stopped the door with one hand and grabbed her wrist with the other. Firmly, but gently. Her eyes turned violent for a second, but she looked up at me and calmed.

I smiled, although I don't know why. "You shall be my princess for tonight," I said. I could sense the presence of the hosts behind me, watching intently.

She looked into my eyes. She almost intimidated me -- almost. "I don't know why you're so nice after the way you treated me and Hideki, but I can't turn down an offer like that." She smiled an empty smile.

And I gave her a look as if to tell her that I knew it was an empty smile.

--------------

Maiko's POV

We sat down at the restaurant table after a fun ride with the host club. They definitely lifted my spirits a bit. The band was mostly busy with their families but we FaceTimed, which was better than nothing. I placed my order with the waitress and turned to the members so that they could order, but they weren't there.... except for Kyoya. It was like they disappeared into thin air.

"They are probably watching us right now," he smiled.

"Are they supposed to be hiding?" I spotted them behind a group of fake trees in the corner of the restaurant. "I can see them."

"Don't worry about them." Kyoya sighed and put his hand on mine. "I wanted to apologize for my behavior."

My stomach knotted at the sudden contact. I smiled inwardly, but a part of me knew that making girls feel like this was something he practiced in a club for school. '"Don't worry about it." There were lots of whispers coming from the clump of fake trees in the corner, including a lot of shuffling. Both Kyoya and I looked over, curious to see how long they would keep up the act.

Then something happened.

Something little yet so big.

Kyoya started too feel the tips of my fingers, the same fingers I use to hold the strings on my guitar. He was probably feeling the caluses that have formed. I looked at his face, and he didn't seem to be paying attention to what he was doing.

My heart started to soften, nearly melting at his display of subtle affection without him even noticing. I pulled away slightly once I was brought back to reality. I certainly wasn't expected to fall for him at this time. And who falls for him? Renge only connects his facial features and physical traits to a sim that she is obssessed with. So she's technically not in love with Kyoya himself. The Kyoya that I have seen is a jerk and cares about nothing but himself. Even so, I still do not believe that Kyoya can be that shallow of a person.

This little sign of vulnerablity gave me hope that the Kyoya I've seen is not the Kyoya that I take a liking to.

_--------------

Kyoya paid for the dinner and led me through the twists and turns of the restaurant. "I think we've lost them."

"I don't think that was necessary."

"It was."

"Thank you for doing this. I didn't expect much for my birthday this year, and despite this not being your idea, or whether you were forced to do this or not, it is more than I deserve."

His mouth twiched. "It is my pleasure to serve a princess even if her closest friends aren't able to."

"My bandmates are all busy, but I understand."

"Your good heart will only take you so far, Maiko."

"Then I guess I should stick to someone like you to tell me when far is far enough, huh?"

"Maybe."