Heading Home (3)

(New Cover! Like??)

I smile at the flavors that explode in my mouth at this hamburger that she's brought me. I quickly eat it and finish my Coke as I leave a $10 on the table including her tip and the price of the food itself. I get up and quickly leave the diner. I hop in my car and I head towards the highway that will take me back home.

I program the GPS to take me home, and I kick up the speed a bit. After all I can now compel humans pretty well, so why not speed a little bit? I look at the amount of time left on the screen and I groan slightly. In bright white letters it says 13 hours, arrival time is 1:30 am. I quickly type in Tayo's name and hit the call button as I wait for him to pick up. "Yesss?" He asks and I laugh. "How's Annabelle?" "She's good, busy but good." He says quickly. "And when was the last time you talked to her?" I ask. "Uhm a month ago when we both were with her." He whispers. "Tayo!" I yell.

"What!?" He yells back. "Call the girl will you?" I laugh as I feel my stomach begin to turn and I begin to pull over on the side of the road. "Hold on Tayo." I say as I rush out of the car. I get sick quickly and throw up what I had for dinner as I try and catch my breath again. I make it back to the car in one piece and I hear Tayo worried on the other end. "You got sick again didn't you?" He asks as I mumble a yes. "Estrella, clearly your body doesn't crave human food anymore. Why can't you accept that?" He asks me. "Because Tayo it's the only normal thing in my life. That's why. I will not be a vampire until I die and come back or whatever term we call it." I tell him as I start up the car again.

"You're the only alive vampire I know, you are a half after all. Maybe you should just stick with human blood." He tells me sighing. "Yeah but I still like human food my body doesn't though. I'm still human." I say as he laughs. "Stay away from human food for a while, you're human? As if Ella. You are more vampire than you are human. Have you told your father?" He asks as I take my turn to laugh. "Now Tayo I wouldn't do that, I would be locked up in my room and fed blood everyday until I wasn't able to stand human food anymore. My dad doesn't need to know everything, I don't know everything about him so it's only fair." I tell him annoyed.

"Ok I get that, but he is your father after all. He's been searching for years for you. Do we really need to go over this again? How many hours till your home?" "I've been on the road for three hours, I'll be home around 2." "Omg this morning?" He asks as I laugh. "Yeah. If I continue my speed I'll be home earlier." I tell him. "Don't compel too many cops. When was the last time you fed?" "Hahaha you sound like my dad, I haven't fed since I left. I haven't had time, with hunting and everything I haven't had time. I know I know I need to but I just want to get home. I need to see him." I whisper.

"He's been so busy no one has had time to talk to him, don't worry he will be back and everything will be normal. I do have to warn you his father is with him." He says as I catch my breath and go silent as I stare at the road. "Estrella." Tayo says quietly. "Estrella it's going to be ok, we know his dad hates halfs but it's going to be ok. Sterling would have your back no matter what, you have nothing to worry about. I promise." "Sterling loves you too much." He adds on. "Maybe I should just turn around, stay another week away and then come back. I can do that." I say weighing my options.

"He would come fly to you, pick you up and you would come home to a furious father and you wouldn't be able to hunt again or outside for that matter. You're kinda stuck." He says quickly smashing the idea of staying longer out of my head. "Call Annabelle, I'll see you in a couple hours." I tell him as I hang up.

Many hours later...

I pull around the bend of the gravel driveway, I can hear the rain patter down on my windshield. It's dark out but the foyer lights are bright and welcoming. I open the car door yawning the whole time as I grab my backpack and leave all my equipment inside for someone to move elsewhere. Tayo: Going to bed. Txt me when you're here. Sterling is back. And Annabelle misses you. My phone busses as I laugh and send back a quick message that I'm home.

I open the front door as I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and I see a beaming Tayo. "Estrella!" He says as he flashes and pulls me into a hug. "Hey." I say wrapping my arms around him once more. "Where is everyone?" I ask as I yawn again. "Asleep." He says shrugging. "It's cool I don't blame them, I'm exhausted. And Sterling?" I ask hopeful. "He's out doing something with a friend he hasn't seen in a while." He tells me as I look confused. "Who?" I ask. "Some old guy friend, human of course. Sterling wasn't sure what time you would be back." He says quietly.

"No it's okay, I get it. He would rather spend time with an old friend than his girlfriend but cool." I say as I begin my journey to my room. "Estrella, don't be like that. If you ask him he will tell you. I'll tell Ashley to get you a cup of blood." He tells me as I continue to climb. "Sure." I say as I eventually find my door and push it open. I see him standing by the window looking at me with the biggest grin on his face. "Sterling." I whisper and I run into his arms as he picks me up and I wrap my legs around him resting my face in his neck.

"I've missed you Ella." He whispers in my ear as he pulls me tighter. "And you thought he was with a friend, as if." Tayo says laughing as he stand by the doorway. "I hate you." I whisper knowing Tayo can hear it well. "As if." He says laughing as he closes the door and disappears. "As much as I would love to hug you all night, you look whipped." Sterling says letting my feet touch the ground again. I see fresh red roses on the table and I begin laughing. "What? Do you not like roses?" He asks worried. "Roses really? Typical vampire move." I say as he smirks at me before he pulls me closer and quickly captures my mouth with his.