Chapter Seven (Unexpected Landing)

Chapter Seven

Hayes had learned of the female's name, Kiara Samuels. She wiped the blood off of her brow and revealed a swollen cut that only oozed more blood as she touched it's tender surface. Hayes looked to the red haired man and saw he had a problem walking. Hayes jogged over and nodded to him after pulling my helmet off.

“You need help? Seems like your leg's hurt.” Hayes looked at his leg and saw he was putting little pressure on it.

He shook his head. “I'll be fine. I might be a little slower, but...” He trailed off and jolted back into the conversation, “Thanks for coming to get us, I don't know what those things would have done to us if you'd not shown up. James was taking a whooping over there.” He pointed to the dark haired man who Lucas was attending to.

He was beat up and his face was beginning to swell up. “Don't worry about it. You should thank Lucas over there, he talked my team into allowing me to come help him get you guys out of this hell hole.” Hayes shrugged his way and started over to a pile of rubble in the corner to my left.

Hayes saw a bunch of scrap metal and blood staining most of it's surface. Setting my helmet down, Hayes pulled a few of the pieces away, hoping to find something of value, but turned away after seeing the fleshy muscle of a human body. “Shit!”

Hayes saw Lucas and the others turn to me and watch me. “What,” James, the brown haired one with a swollen face asked.

Hayes gathered myself and turned to the buried pile of meat. He pulled a broken piece of metal away and saw the darkened flesh of a human leg. He pulled the pile apart and saw the pieces of a body, and a demented face with no eyes. The black sockets stared at me.

He felt the presence of a body near my shoulder. He looked out of the corner of my eye and saw it was Kiara, but was caught off guard by a sickening noise and moment from the body.

The mouth had opened and a dark worm like thing crawled with it's spindly spider-like legs into view. He hadn't noticed and heard Kiara curse in surprise. Hayes turned and was caught across the face by it's dark legs. He was blinded and felt something try to push itself into any opening in his face. Nickolas's eyes were forced open, and he yelled, making the mistake of opening my mouth. He had to fight to keep it from crawling inside of the small over stretched opening.

Hayes heard the click of a gun, and yelled in fear for them not to shoot hi, Hayes could feel something enter his ears and immediately in reaction, reached up and grabbed the cumbersome figure of the little best on his head. It's sharp legs pierced his cheek and he felt a warm liquid come from it. The two legs tried to push the opening larger so it could fit inside, but Hayes was hit hard in the head with a blunt object. The feeling of something warm overcame his upper body. He fell back in a daze covering his now exposed face. The wall contacted his back and he still cried in misery as the thing still clung loosely to his head.

He reached up and pulled with all his might, managing to get the damn thing off his face. He inhaled deeply and realized that he had held his breath. The light headedness off his mind made his eyes spin. He looked on the ground in front of him and saw the thing twitching on the ground. He tried to shift away, but stopped as a heavy boot came down on it and made a dark black liquid cover the ground surrounding it. The long legs hung out from under the boot and twitched once or twice before stopping and collapsing with no purpose. Hayes tilted to his left and threw up. It stung his cheek with a strong pain, but he ignored it as his flustered body reconstructed itself.

“Holy shit! What was that?” Hayes heard someone say, it sounded like James.

Kiara spoke with her forceful but calm voice. “It was one of those things that our team had to clear from the Hemarii Colony. Remember?” Hayes tried to recall news and reports on the incident, but remembered nothing of the sort being told to his team back on the Stronghold. It must have been classified Information meant for the ears and eyes of the ODST. “I think they called them Sombers. Some little zombie like spiders.”