Chapter 24: Possession

This was the last straw. I couldn’t just stand by and watch the best man I had ever known to be talked about in such a fashion. Damien took it too far this time.

I snuck up behind him and snapped his thin, weak, human neck like a twig, and I smiled while doing it.

~

I awoke in Jesse’s arms for the first time as a married pair. The fact that it was after a nightmare was only a coincidence...I think. I had forgotten about it completely when I saw Jesse asleep in my arms. I tenderly stroked the scars on his back. I tucked a strand of hair behind his ear as I gently kissed his forehead. Jesse’s eyes fluttered open.

“Good morning, Jesse Harper.” I whispered, “You sleep well, ma vie?

Drr drr drr drr. Drr drr drr drr.

The alarm went off before Jesse could answer. I jumped from the bed and walked over to my closet. I grabbed my uniform, but, to my surprise, it was already on my body before I even looked in the mirror.

“I thought you could use some help.” Jesse said.

I smiled at him as I gazed into his big, curious eyes. I gave him a peck on the cheek, and I went on my way to the hatch. The soldiers and I marched to the Border with strict stepping.

“Left. Left. Left, right, left.” I heard over our pounding feet, “Left. Left. Left, right, left.”

After many hours, we stopped at the Border where Damien stood as straight as the rest of us. His harsh green eyes cast a feeling of hatred and ignorance in the hearts of thousands. He was twitching as Deacon had been.

“Who do you think you are, Harper?” Damien exclaimed in fury, “What have you done to my father?”

“He merely had a change of heart, Damien.” I responded calmly, “He really has seen the error of his ways.”

“You made him sail for Europe, freak!” he screamed.

“Now, now,” I soothed, “Let’s be civilized here.”

“Says the monstrous abomination.”

“Wow!” Britter exclaimed clapping in sarcastic awe, “You’ve learned two big words.”

“Officer, we must be polite.” I commanded just as sarcastically, “I’m sure my brother here is at least of a higher intelligence as the average preschooler.”

“You think you’re so witty, don’t you?”

“Of course.”

“First, you charm my brother; that’s fine, but now my father?!” Damien growled in response, aiming his sword, “None of you deserve to live, especially Jesse!”

“Oh, no.” I heard Britter murmur.

That was the last straw. I sped toward him angrily and grabbed him by his shirt collar. His breathing became heavy with fright.

“No one,” I threatened, growling, “And I mean, no one, talks about my Jesse that way. I swear, if you so much as lay a hand on ma vie, I will kill you.”

Your Jesse?” Damien questioned, “That’s a little possessive, don’t you think?”

I squeezed harder at his throat.

“Do it, Angel.” I heard Jesse’s voice say, “His role is over.”

At Jesse’s command, I snapped Damien’s neck.