Two

A m a n d a

My hand felt cold once I woke up, Ponyboy's hand being replaced with the cold sheets. The fort was still set up, part of the sheets falling down beside me.

I rubbed my eyes and propped myself up on my elbows, stretching out my arms and legs.

"Manda?" I heard Sodapop say from the kitchen.

"Mhm?" I hummed back.

"Just checkin' if it was you,"

I crawled out of the fort and trudged to the kitchen, placing myself on the counter. "What's for breakfast?"

"Pancakes," he said, then pointed at the fort with his spatula, "you and Pony did that?"

I nodded with a smile. "Hey, where is Pony?"

"He went to the store,"

I don't know why, but I felt worried. Ponyboy wasn't the strongest out of all of us, if too many Socs jumped him he would be in trouble.

Sodapop must have seen the worry in my eyes. "He'll be fine, he's got a blade."

I sat there in silence, kicking my feet on the counter and watching Sodapop cook, and drop a few things in the process, causing me to laugh.

He looked at me for a few seconds and narrowed his eyes. I shifted uncomfortably on the counter. "What?"

"You like him," he paused, "don't you."

"Who?" I knew exactly who he was talking about.

"Ponyboy,"

I felt my cheeks heat up and my body stiffened. "What? Nah."

"Come on, Manda," he flipped a pancake, "I see it when you're around him, in your pretty blue eyes."

I blushed and rolled my eyes, I wasn't really use to complements, so I didn't know how to take them. "I don't like him."

"Whatever," he murmured, "you're bad at lying."

I rolled my eyes again and kicked his leg lightly before jumping down off the counter. The front door opened and Ponyboy stumbled in holding his neck. He winced and sat down on the couch.

"Pony?" I sat beside him and tried moving his hand. "What happened?"

Blood seeped in between his fingers and he sucked in a breath before moving his hand away, revealing a long and deep cut on his neck.

"Oh, jeez, Ponyboy," I ran to the bathroom and opened the cabinet, digging out alcohol, cotton balls, and bandages.

"What'd they do?" I asked, pouring some alcohol on a cotton ball.

"Jumped me," he said, "they took my blade."

"They're gonna get it," I murmured, "this might sting a bit."

I placed the cotton ball lightly on the cut and he winced, biting his bottom lip.

"Sorry," I said, patting it a few more times before putting a bandage on.

"Thanks, Manda," he said. I smiled and we stood up and walked to the kitchen.

"Soda, pancakes," I said, grabbing a plate and slamming it down on the table.

"Careful you're gonna shake the whole house," Sodapop said, setting two pancakes down on my plate.

The door flew open and in came Two Bit, Steve, Johnny, Darry, and Dally, all cheering like maniacs.

Ponyboy jumped when the door hit the wall, sending his fork flying upwards and getting stuck in the ceiling.

"Dammit," he murmured. I covered my mouth with my hand to muffle my laughs, "oh, shush."

I let out a fit of laughter and started to get on the table. "I got it." I extended my arm upwards and stood on my tiptoes. The second I touched the fork, it fell and hit my forehead, causing me to lean backwards and lose my balance.

I fell backwards and let out a small yelp, shutting my eyes and bringing my arms to my chest. I thought I had hit the floor, but when I opened my eyes I saw Ponyboy looking down at me with a faint smirk on his face. "Careful."

I mentally groaned and hid my face in my hands to keep the blush from rising to my cheeks. "You can let me down now."

"I'd rather not," he said before calling Steve and tossing me his way. I screamed and waited for my head to slam into a wall or something, but Steve caught me.

"Soda!" Steve called. Soda put down the pan and held out his arms.

"No!" I kicked my feet but he threw me anyway. I saw Ponyboy looking at me and laughing so hard his face was turning red, and I swore I had never seen him smile so big.

I landed in Sodapop's arms and he spun me around a few times.

"I'm gonna hurl on you!" I shouted.

He stopped spinning and called for Johnny, who perked his head up and put out his arms, next thing I knew I was in them.

"Hey Johnnycake," I looked up at him, "you mind putting me down."

"Let me think about it," he pretended to think hard, "nope, Dally!"

Dally caught be, immediately throwing me to some random place in the house. I expected to land on the table or the couch, but instead I landed right back in Ponyboy's arms.

He stumbled back and landed on the couch. I landed on my back and he landed on top of me, lifting himself with his arms.

I swallowed hard, feeling the stares of all the boys on us. Ponyboy bit his lower lip and glanced down at my own for a second before looking back up at me.

I could feel the tension and everything in my mind went blank, it felt like it was only Ponyboy and I in the room.

"Alright!" Dally grabbed the back of Ponyboy's shirt and pulled him off of me, sending him on the floor. "Y'all put up these blankets."

Thanks a lot Dally.

Could you hear the sarcasm?