¤Chapter 9¤

"I'm not going back! You can't make me!" I yelled. Mr. Brown wrapped his arms around my body and started walking towards my father's house.

"I'm sorry, Erin, but you have to go back. You can't stay with us anymore." He said. I thrashed around in his arms.

"No! Please! Xavier, tell him to stop!" I yelled. I looked to my side and saw Xavier was staring at the ground. We were getting closer and I could already feel the pain that was to come.

"Xavier," I whispered. He looked up at me and I saw hurt and sadness in his eyes.

"Don't let him take me," I said. He shook his head and started walking faster, going past us.

We made it to the door and Mr. Brown sat me down. When my feet made contact with the ground, I took off running.

I felt myself being picked up and carried back to the house.

"No! I don't want to go!" I yelled. Xavier placed me back down on the ground and held on to my shoulders.

"I can take it from here, dad," Xavier mumbled. Mr. Brown gave me one last look before retreating back to the car, most likely to comfort Mrs. Brown.

"I'm so sorry." He turned my body to face his and bent down so I wouldn't have to look up at him.

"Why do I have to go back?" I asked, softly. He wiped my cheeks with his thumbs.

"We have to go away now. Plus, you have to go back to your dad. He is your legal guardian." He said. I shook my head.

"I could go with you. We... can go to court! And... and then I can live with you guys forever." I said. He smiled, but it was sadistic.

"I wish it was that easy." He said.

"I don't want to stay with him," I said. He sighed and pulled me into a hug.

"I know you don't. I wish you could come, but you can't. And I won't promise you that I will come back for you because I know I won't." He said. I pulled away from him.

"Why not?! You don't love me anymore!" I yelled. He shook his head.

"No. I do love you, with all my heart. It's just complicated and you won't understand because you can't understand." He said. I shook my head and wiped my tears.

"Do you need to survive?" I whispered, looking down at the ground.

"What?" He asked, confusion lacing his voice. I looked back up at him and glared.

"Do you need to survive?!" I yelled. His face showed confusion.

"I guess so. Yes." He answered, still looking confused. I turned around and looked at the door.

"Then go survive," I said. I walked up to the door and knocked on it.

"Erin-" The door swung open and I scrunched up my face at the appearance of my father. His hair was everywhere and he looked like he hadn't taken a bath in months.

"Well, look who it is," Shawn said.

"Thanks for returning my stuff." Shawn sneered. Xavier walked up beside me and I could feel his eyes on me.

"Goodbye, Erin." He laid his hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and pushed past Shawn to get into the house. I walked towards the stairs and I could feel Shawn glaring at me.