Part 5

Mahi felt a little guilty not being honest with Amrita, but she sensed a spark had been ignited somewhere and that burned her guilt to ashes.

She came back with a jolly good mood.

"Little Amrita! I am sorry, I am going to stay with you for the week and make sure you have lots of fun," Mahi said entering Amrita's room after dinner. Amrita was sitting on the couch making a phone call to her bakery. She looked up at Mahi. "Okay, thanks Harish, let me know if anything is the matter. Bye." She hung up the phone.

"No!" Amrita gave Mahi a stern look and said, "I don't want to stay in the same room as you nor talk with you Mahi, and stop calling me 'little Amrita'." Mahi sat with Amrita and said, "What do you want me to do to make it up to you? Anything you say." Amrita gave her a furious look for some time, which eventually faded away.

She thought for a while and said, "Mahi, I want you to take me to a small bakery shop around fifty kilometres from here, in a village called Krishi, higher up in the mountains."

Mahi stared at her, "That was random. Sure, I will, though I had thought you'd ask for something better."

Amrita smiled and said, "It is what I want. You see, it is a very small bakery and many people don't know about it. Moreover, it might be tough to get there. No one will let me go there alone."

Mahi smiled and assured, "We will go there, don't worry. Is Wednesday fine?"

"Yes!" said Amrita excitedly and hugged Mahi.

"Alright roomie, now help me shift my stuff to your room; my room has no view," said Mahi.

Mahi and Amrita did not get much time to meet since they stayed in different cities, but they made sure to always stay in touch via phone, and met at least once a year. So, the two of them were pretty close. But, the past two years Amrita had been quite busy, especially with Aromas, her bakery, and Mahi had been changing jobs. They had been out of touch lately. But, now that they were together, it was like old times.

Mahi and Abhi had been friends for the longest time and had finally gotten together after many years. Arjun was Abhi's younger brother and Mahi had known him since they were all kids. She knew Arjun to be a good and honest person at heart, as was Amrita. Mohit was friends with both Arjun and Abhi, though Arjun was twenty-seven, closer to his age. In the recent years, Mohit had moved out of his family home into his own flat, which was at the other end of the city and closer to his workplace.

The next two days passed in a blur with a small celebration, in honour of the two newly engaged people. Amrita's sister came to the hotel, with her small family, to be a part of the occasion. Her daughter Bunny was a talkative and mischievous kid. The life of the party, it was not long after she arrived that she became friends with Arjun who reciprocated her enthusiasm for talking, with an equal vigour.

The days ahead were full with a trip to the marketplace and a pool party for the young arranged by Abhi in the indoor heated pool. Amrita was relaxing in a sauna with Mahi, on Tuesday afternoon, when she said to Mahi, "You remember we have to go to that bakery shop tomorrow? I have told Mohit to not keep any plans for us. Mohit told me Arjun has to go somewhere for business tomorrow and Abhi too has some meeting which he needs to attend, though a video call. So Mohit will come with us." Mahi replied, "Yes, I remember."

The next morning Amrita, Mohit and Mahi were all packed and ready to go. They had taken overnight bags in case it got too late in the evening; it was not safe to drive on mountain roads at night. Amrita was putting the luggage in the trunk of the car when she heard a sharp shout from inside the hotel lobby. She ran inside. Mahi was lying on the floor groaning in pain, clutching her foot.

"Oh my God!" Amrita ran towards her. "Mahi, what happened to you?"

Arjun was in the lobby and came there hearing the commotion.

He rushed towards Amrita seeing her assist Mahi with the help of a receptionist.

"Here, lean on me. How did you hurt your foot?" he asked as he made her settle on the couch.

"The heel of my shoe broke and I twisted my ankle," Mahi replied, still groaning in pain.

Amrita soothed her, "Here, have some water."

The doctor was called who told them it was just a sprain that needed painkillers and a rest for a day or two.

"I am so sorry Amrita, I won't be able to accompany you to Krishi," Mahi said to Amrita.

"Don't be ridiculous Mahi. Thank God it is not something serious. You just rest," Amrita said.

Arjun interjected, "Krishi is where I am going to right now. You can accompany me."

Amrita looked at Mahi. She really did want to go and anyway Mohit was going with her. Mahi gave Amrita an understanding smile and said, "Very well then, I will let uncle and aunt know that you are going with Mohit and Arjun, they won't worry."

Mohit, Amrita and Arjun set off in Arjun's car, after settling Mahi with her frantic and doting fiancé, towards the small village of Krishi. The bakery Amrita was looking for was in that very town.