Part 27

It was three weeks later.

"Hurry up Arjun! We'll be late for the procession." By procession, Abhi's mother meant, a volley of seven silver cars, with Arjun and Abhi in the last one. The rest of the relatives in the ones in front.

Abhi wore a golden coloured sherwani, with a red turban on his head. He sat in the back seat of the car, waiting impatiently for the procession to start. He was excited and nervous at the same time. Arjun came and slid into the back seat. He wore a similar looking deep blue sherwani, without a turban. Arjun's work projects had taken a backseat for the past three weeks due to the preparations for his brother's wedding. He had personally arranged the procession which suited Abhi's taste.

The groom's car was the last to reach the magnificent hotel driveway. Abhi took a deep breath.

Arjun turned to look at Abhi, still in the car. A crowd of some forty people from the bride's side waiting to welcome them.

"Are you nervous Abhi?" he asked his brother.

Abhi answered, looking over to Arjun, "I am happy Arjun, I am just savouring this moment. My only wish is for you to be as happy right now."

Arjun nodded, understanding his elder brother very well. My happiness must be inside right now, he thought to himself. Although she doesn't want anything to do with me.

Once in front of the crowd, they were surrounded by Mahi's relatives. Mohit stood at the front, his mother with the ceremonious plate, containing a lighted lamp and kumkum. Abhi was welcomed with a tilak on his forehead, followed by Arjun.

Right behind the bride's immediate family stood Amrita's family. Arjun smiled at them and bowed his head with his palms joined, greeting them, followed by Abhi.

Mrs Sarika could very well make out why Arjun looked dejected. He was looking for her daughter. But she was elsewhere.

"Amrita, do you think the eye-shadow is too dark? It makes me look scary, doesn't it?" Mahi asked her cousin.

"You look beautiful Mahi, and no, it's not too dark, it is perfect. Now stop fidgeting. It is your wedding today."

"Your groom has arrived it seems, Neetu just texted me."

"And oh!" Amrita went silent.

"What is it?" Mahi asked alarmed. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, my mother, father and Neetu and brother-in-law all were just talking with Arjun. Then my father and Mohit led Abhi to the mandap.

I... She says Arjun was looking around for someone."

Mahi looked concerned.

"Forget about me Mahi, this is your important day. All my little troubles are of no concern. Let's focus and be positive today." Amrita came over to Mahi and started adjusting the pleats of her sari.

"It's coming off, we need extra pins. Where did the stylist go?!"

"Oh no! Fix it please, mom has all the extra pins, please go downstairs and get them Amrita."

"I will don't worry." Amrita rushed off downstairs where all the guests had assembled. Her hair flying, golden sari swishing as she ran down the stairs, innocent eyes turning huge in her urgency, she looked breathtakingly beautiful, unaware of anything but the pins she needed to get.

Arjun's breath hitched when he saw her rushing down the stairs. He waited for her to turn towards him, not daring to move. But she did not. She never turned towards him. She never saw him. Or did she and deliberately avoided him? He wondered. His pride was hurt, badly.