Chapter 15

The next morning Luke walked in into the dining room, grunting from his hangover.  

"Oh, honey, were you drunk again?" came Jan's voice. She quickly busied herself preparing coffee for him. 

Luke groaned; he sat down and rested his head on the dining table. 

"You know, being drunk doesn't solve any problem." She stood next to him and placed a mug of black coffee on the table with two aspirins. 

"At least I can forget about it," he said, sipping the coffee carefully. 

"Every marriage will have problems, Luke, you have to face it."  

"We don't have problems, Jan. How many times do I have to tell you that?" 

"Oh yeah? Then why did your wife go to work with puffy eyes this morning?" 

Luke looked up at her. "She's been crying?" 

"Of course she cried, you wanted to divorce her. Wait until I tell your grandpa about this!" Jan walked back in into the kitchen. 

"Wait, wait . . . what? How did you know?" Luke scrambled on his feet and followed her. She stood in front of the stove, flipping over a couple of fried eggs and sausages. 

"She was in the shower when I came in to clean the room. The papers were scattered on the floor, with lots of tissues of course, she finished the whole box." She flipped the whole saucepan's contents into a plate carelessly and shoved it to Luke's hands. "Your breakfast," she said with annoyance in her voice. She then stood there and glared at him. 

"Geez, thanks, Jan." Luke took a fork from the drawer and walked back to the dining table. Jan followed. 

"What did she say?" he asked casually and pretended that he didn't care. 

"She just smiled and told me not to worry." Jan sighed and waited for his reaction, but he said nothing. 

"Aren't you going to say anything?" asked Jan curiously. 

"Nope." Luke busied himself chewing his food. 

"Luke, I know you love her, why are you divorcing her?" Jan took a chair next to him and sat on it. 

"She doesn't love me."  

"How did you know?"  

"I just know." 

"Oh, I wish your grandpa was here. He'll butcher you alive." Jan sighed. 

"She loves someone else!" Luke slammed his fork down to the table and held his head in frustration. 

"What?" 

"I saw Manuel in her hotel room when I visited her in Melbourne." Luke gave up. 

"So?" Jan frowned. 

"It meant that they slept together, Jan." 

Jan shook her head. "Oh really? Did you see them actually doing it?"  

Luke grunted. 

"Answer me."  

"No." He scowled.  

"Exactly, just like you two," she mumbled. 

He responded with a loud groan. 

Jan stifled a giggle and rubbed his back up and down. Luke continued to eat his breakfast in silence. 

"You need to trust your wife, Luke," Jan said. 

"I did, until that morning."  

"Have you asked her what's going on?"