Th Way It Works

CHAPTER SIX

I go inside. Into his house. His old house. Then I see Ellie walking up the drive to his house. I open the door and she knows something is wrong immediately. I run to her and she gives me a huge hug. We slowly walk inside. 

"Baby, where's Jack?" She asks. I knew it was only a matter of time before she asked me that but it was the wrong question to ask. I start to cry and this time no matter how hard I try. I can't stop. Ellie makes me a big cup of tea and sits next to me on the sofa.  

"Tell me everything" she says "from the beginning". 

I take a deep breath and the begin. 

"About 4 weeks ago, Jack proposed to me" I tell her " and I said yes" I smile slightly because it brings back one of the happiest memories I have.  

"But I thought he was leaving to go to.. Oh" she says, starting to piece together the facts. "Why did you say yes if you knew he had to go?" She asks me. 

"Because Jack told me that if we got married or engaged, we legally couldn't be separated. It says so in the law book"  

"Mya!" 

"What?" I ask, she sounds angry. 

"Why did you let him go? Why did you let them take him?" She is shouting now so I so to.  

"THEY HAD HIM AT GUN POINT ELLIE!"  

Ellie lowers her voice and says in a much more sympathetic tone, "Mya, do you know what his new job is?"  

"No" I answer, and that's the truth. I never wanted to know. 

"They are sending them to fight, in the army..." 

I gasp and start to shake. My hot tea spills all down my tummy and burns it.  

"SHIT!" I cry. Ellie carries me down the drive and into the back of the car. She drives me to the hospital and sees me to a doctor. They run a few tests and do some x-rays to make sure nothing is damaged underneath the skin. Then they apply some cream whilst they wait for the test results.  

A few minutes later the doctor comes back,  

"well Mya nothing is damaged under your skin and the burns are minor but I have some news for you"  

"What is it?" I say, I'm scared at this point, this would be so much better if Jack was here.... 

"Mya," the doctor continues "Your pregnant"