The Way It Works

CHAPTER TWELVE

We get on the aircraft and take our seats. We can choose where we sit so I sit next to Jack. I'm dying to hold his hand but i know it will give us away. I feel sick so I am thankful when they hand out sick bags. I throw up several times on the journey as we start to land, a wave of horror hits me. Out of the window, I see them taking people back to their homes, but not because they have done their duty, because they are dead.

We have a one hour training corse and after that we will be send into combat. I find out that I have a reasonably good shot with a gun and so does Jack. Maybe this is good? Soon I find out that it is Most defiantly not. We get assessed before we leave to fight. They test us on our shot and to my horror, they send the good ones behind the enemy lines. That's where me and Jack are going.

We get taken through a range of secret passages and through different cliffs and caves before we get to the other side of the war. They tell us that we must shoot the most important looking man or woman we see, the one that looks like the leader but I'm not planning on shooting anyone.  

'NOW!" The man leading us says and we all walk out and blend In with the other side.

We have been here for about twenty minutes almost when I hear a gun shot from behind me, its close. One of the soldiers has hit a man in a uniform who, yes, does look important but he is clearly not in-charge. This is when I know he had blown it for all of us. The villagers now start to the notice the slight changes in our cloths and, believe it or not, they don't look very happy that we just shot, as I later found out, their chief trainer.

We got taken into a large, dark room and tied to the six tables laid out. Their were six of us? I could of sworn their was only five. Then I see the sixth member Of the group. Joe.

One by one, they question us. They have already done two of the men, whose names I never knew and they will be taking the third shortly. Then it's me,Jack and Joe. 

Each time a different soldier leaves the room, I hear a lot of screams and it sounds awful. My main fear is, none of the men that have gone, have come back. I start to panic and I shake. I'm so scared. Jack turns his head to look at me and he blinks at me. To the guards this is just a blink, but i know it means more. It's his way of trying to comfort me, to tell me everything will work out in the end. However some how, I don't think it will.

They come in and two strong men grab me. They yank me up and force me to walk. I get Half dragged, half carried into a room with a chair in the centre. They buckle me up and I take a deep breath.  

"What was your plan?" A woman's voice asks me. At fist I cant see her but then I notice a shadow in the corner of the room. 

"What was your plan?!" She says, more forcefully this time. Before I can answer, and electric current runs through my body and i let out a load scream. Unfortunately, my scream sounds just a little bit too girly and the woman leaves the corner and walks over to me. She lifts my head up violently and then undoes my helmet and removes it from my head. She stares at the neat bun on my head. 

"Your a girl" she says. I never noticed, I want to say but i don't dare. Instead I nod.  

"Why are you here?" She asks me, her voice not quite as harsh. I explain to her and I'm not sure why I do. She has done nothing but hurt me but I tell her anyway. 

"They force us to come here" I say. She looks concerned and If I didn't know better, I would say she felt sorry for me. Then I explain my situation more and I tell her about the baby. Yet again, I don't know why but it feels good to say the situation out loud to someone. 

"I understand" she says, sounding truthful. "Work with me and this will all stop" she gestures to the torture room around us. "For you and your friends"  

I agree and then get taken back to the other room. Jack nor Joe get taken to the other room. About a week passes and we are still in the same room. They have removed the rope and we can walk around but we re unable to leave the room.

"Get up" I hear a sudden voice at the door. It's the woman again. "All three of you, your coming with me"