The Way It Works

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I follow obediently along with Jack and Joe. We get taken into a pure white room with only three hospital beds in it. Also white.  

"Sit." The man holding me commands, gesturing to the beds "one for each" then he walks out and I hear the door click shut. We walk over to a bed each and sit down like obedient dogs. I take the bed in between the boys.  

Before any of us has a chance to say anything, a man in a lab coat walks in. He begins to examine Joe. I presume it it because he is nearest to the door and I'm almost sure he will examine Jack and me next. When he has finished with Joe he comes to me. Half way through the examination, he leans in and whispers in my ear. 

"seven months" he says. Does he mean seven months pregnant?! It can't be. How long have we been here? Obviously about four months. He finishes my check up and then walks over to do Jacks. Then, as the other man did, he walks out and this time he locks the door after him. 

"What did he say to you?" Jack asks.  

"He just said seven months" I whisper. I don't know why. I have no problem with Joe knowing. I'm just scared who else can hear us.  

"Shit!" I shout. Then I clutch my stomach tightly. Jack get up and runs over to me. He sits next to me on the end of my bed and touches my stomach. 

"What's wrong?" He asks me. Then I remember. He has no idea I'm pregnant. He doesn't even know about the baby. I can't keep it from him but how do I tell him? 

"She's pregnant" my thoughts are interrupted by Joe's deep voice. Jack whips his head round and stares at me. 

"AND WHEN WERE YOU PLANNING ON TELLING ME?" He says almost shouting. 

"I...i...." I stutter. "I'm.... Sorry..." He walks over to the corner of the room. I'be seen him like this before. Only once though. He just needs too cool down. 

"You told him but not me?" He gestures to Joe. 

"He guessed, on the train." I tell him. Jack sighs. Then he walks over to me and smiles. Then I realise this smile is sarcastic... 

"Congratulations" he says "I hope you two are happy"  

"What?!" I ask.  

"WHY DID YOU BOTHER COMING TO FIND ME THEN!? IF HE IS THE ONE YOU LOVE WHY BOTHER WITH ME?"  

"JACK, IT YOUR BABY!" I Yell. Then I scream. It's a different pain this time. A new one but its still from the baby. Maybe it's the stress and shouting but it's worse than any of the others. Jack grabs my hands. 

"Heyy shhh. Look at me." He stares into my eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I thought you were with... Joe and I love you so much" I hug him tightly and then I realise Joe is sitting behind me. Out of no where, I suddenly throw up. I turn to Joe and find he was holding my hair back. 

"Thanks" I say with a weak smile before throwing up again into the bucket Jack had found.  

This is gonna be harder than I thought.