The Way It Works

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Good morning!" the voice on the intercom said cheerfully. Her voice echoing through the whole room, Bouncing off the white walls. 

"We have come to the decision that you will be better off living in the outer borders. You will grow crops on the land and basically own a farm. This will be a peaceful job and will allow you to raise your child safely. This is the same for all of you." 

I'm over whelmed by joy. It's perfect.

They bring us out of our room and give us each a large rucksack. Although mine is smaller than the boys', it's still full of spare cloths, water and food. They give us a map and a quick description of how to get there. Then they tell us to run and that's it. So we do. We run.

As they said, we follow the river all the way down and then at around 7pm we stop for a drink.  

"Wow" Joe says, amazed at the sunset. 

"It's beautiful" I say. Jack nods in agreement.  

"OY!" someone shouts behind us, making us all jump. We all spin around and see the uniform that everyone dreads. It's the police. 

"RUN!" Jack shout and we do. We go off the path and into the woods. It's starting to get dark and I'm struggling to breath. Then I start to feel sick, I continue to run but then suddenly I stop. I throw up and have to hold onto a tree to stay on my feet. A police man grabs my shoulder and I scream. The other man catches up and they both pin me to the floor. I scream again and this time Jack and Joe hear me. They both turn around and run back to me. I turn my head to the side and throw up again. It must have gone on the police mans hand because he yells and lets go. As soon as he shakes it off Jack punches him in the face and he falls to the Floor. Joe does the same with the other man and then we run off leaving them unconscious on the floor. We start running again but this time, it's only about 10 minutes before I stop.  

"I can't go any further" I croak, holding my tummy. 

"We can't stay here though" Joes pants, leaning against a tree.  

"Come on" Jack says, picking up my hand and leading me slowly through the trees. Then I see where we are going. There is a small rock face with what looks like a network of tunnels in it. We walk inside and find a small passage, separate from the main hall. We throw down our rucksacks and then take out an apple each. 

"Are you alright?" Jack asks me.  

"Yeah, I'm fine now" I reply taking a bite out of my apple. "Thanks" 

When we have finished, we all lie down on the floor and wrap out coats around us. Jack offers me his jacket but I refuse. 

"You need it"  

"But.." Jack protests. I give him a small smile and he knows that I'm fine.

Joe's and Jack are asleep so I decide to sit up against the wall. I cant believe everything I have been through just to get here. It seems like it was yesterday that I was on the pedalo! Then I feel a warm hand on my stomach and I look up to see Jack. 

"You should get some sleep" he whispers. 

"I can't" I tell him. 

"Come here then" he gently pulls me closer and I turn to face him, We kiss and then he runs his hand down my face. 

"Owww" I mumble. 

" I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you" he says. 

"It wasn't you" I reply. Then I kiss him again. He runs his hand over my stomach and I fall asleep in his arms for the first time in, what feels like, forever.