Chapter Nineteen: Temper Adagio: America's Next Top Model?

"Shawna, can you believe it? She just turned him down! She doesn't even deserve him! She's like, the most--"

Next to me, my mother cleared her throat, gaining the attention of the two workers at the dress store.

"Oh, hello, ladies. Welcome to Christina's Bridal Shop. Is there anything you're looking for, in particular? Feel free to ask me or Shawna if you need help," the girl recited, gesturing to her co-worker.

"Actually, yes. We do need help. My daughter is going to be the maid of honour in an upcoming wedding, and we need to find her dress here," my mom told her, pushing me forward.

"Oh, sure! Follow me," she declared, and started walking. I practically had to sprint to keep up with her. How did she speed walk, or even walk at all, in those horrific pumps?

"I'm Desiree," the girl introduced herself, gathering her hair up into a loose pony tail.

"I'm Katherine, this is my daughter Temper, and her friend Cleo," she pointed to both of us, and we waved.

"It's nice to meet you! Do you or Cleo need a dress as well, m'am?" Desiree asked, grabbing a catalogue and handing it to us.

"Oh, no. We're just here to watch Temper model for today," my mom explained with a chuckle, knowing how much I hated dress shopping.

"Oh, of course. Does the bride have any particular colour she wants the wedding party to wear?" she questioned us, "Or perhaps a theme?"

"Yes, the colour scheme is orange and pink-- two bright summer hues," my mom told her.

"Alright! That colour duo is very popular this time of year. Now, I need to know what designs you want on your dress, and what your budget is," she informed us.

What was this, Say Yes to the Dress?

"Well, I'd like to stay below two thousand, if possible. I guess if we need to, we can stretch it up to about three thousand. And I'll let Temper explain this dress she has in mind," my mom said, turning to me.

"I want it to be strapless, and reach just below the knee. It has to have lots of layers, and some bling would be nice too. All of the dresses in the wedding party are going to look something along the lines of that, but I want mine to stand out," I added.

"Sure! You ladies can look through that catalogue while I go into the stockroom to pick a few dresses that meet that criteria," Desiree exclaimed, and disappeared into the back room.

"Oh, that's kinda cute. I like how the floral pattern," Cleo said, pointing to a dress in the book.

"It's too long. The colour is pretty, though," my mom retorted.

"I'll let you fashion critics discuss that stuff. I'm gonna get ready to try on some dresses," I grumbled, stepping into a small changing room with a curtain in front of it.

I slid it closed and undressed myself, while Desiree hopped in the room to help me zip up the first dress. It was a sort of pastel pink, and very loose. It hung by my sides limply, making my frame look super straight. The only thing it accentuated was my flat chest.

"Okay, ladies, I present to you, dress number one!" Desiree exclaimed in a dramatic voice, thrusting me out of the room and into their view. My mom gasped and nodded, while Cleo scrunched her nose and pretended to gag. At least one of them had taste.

Desiree led me over to the little stool, which was directly in front of three mirrors. She had me twirl a bit as my mom and Cleo gave their comments about the horrible dress, and I watched myself move in all three angels.