Chapter Twenty-Four: Real-Life Regina George

"C'mon, Temper!"

I hurriedly tossed a bunch of extra clothes into my suitcase and zipped it up, dashing out of my room and slamming the door shut behind me.

"Temper! We're going to be late!"

I huffed and puffed down the hall and skidded to a stop in front of my mother.

"What time does my flight leave, again?"

"Three o'clock!"

I bit my lip and nodded, throwing on a light jacket and following Mom out of the apartment.

"I can't believe this is actually happening," I muttered once we had seated ourselves and settled my luggage in a taxi. "I'm really going to Italy!"

"I can't believe this, either! Apollo is such a nice young man... he almost reminds me of--" my mom started, but I cut her off.

"Mom! We talked about this. I don't want you to bring him up anymore, ever, okay?" I groaned.

Lately my mother had been blabbing non-stop about him. Sure, she liked Apollo, but she still thought that... George and I were a thing.

Which was totally, absolutely, extremely not true.

She was always comparing my new, better boyfriend with my old, grouchy ex-boyfriend, and it was literally driving me insane.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" she exclaimed, raising her hands up in defense.

"I know you still wish that I'm dating George, but I'm not. You need to accept that I'm with Apollo now. Besides, George seems to like Zoey. He's moved on-- just like I wanted him to," I declared, turning my head to stare out the taxi window. I was almost trying to convince myself more than my mom...

We flew down the chaotic streets of the city. Despite it being constantly crazy, NYC was the only place I could ever really call home. I realized that in a few short hours, I wouldn't be there anymore. I would be in an entirely different country in an entirely different continent on an entirely different side of the world with entirely different people and entirely different sights. It was kind of... scary.

"We're here, ladies," the taxi driver croaked in a rusty voice.

We scrambled to pay him and retrieve our luggage; and he sped off into the distance.

"Okay... let's get you through security," my mom took control of the situation, guiding me to the right and through the sea of busy travellers. I felt my heart sink just a tiny little bit when I saw the extremely long line ahead of me.

"Oh, well," my mother sighed, pulling out a tabloid magazine from her purse. I rummaged through the pocket of my jacket for my phone and retrieved it, flipping it open to read my new texts.

From Harper: omg! I'm going to miss you so much, sista! Have fun in Italy, and be sure to snap loads of pics for me! Love, Harp.

From Colbie: So sad I couldn't make it to see you off... we're all gonna miss you bunches! xoxoxoxo infinite!

From Cleo: Wow, chicka! You're actually going to Italy! You better buy me a kick-ass souvenir, just sayin.' Sending lots of love!

From Alec: Hey Tem! It's gonna suck without you here, but I hope you have a great time in Italia with your man. He's a pretty cool guy. Maybe we could hang out when you get home?

From Zoey: Hey! Home come you haven't replied to any of my messages? Miss talking to you!

I smiled at all of the texts except for the last one. It was true, though, I hadn't talked to Zoey in ages. I didn't really want to anymore, because... well... it was just awkward between us, with her being with George and all. I mean, I loved Zoey! She was one of my best friends. She was always so quiet and supportive and was a stupendous listener and she was happy and... now I can't even talk to her because George is with her 24/7 and I am doing my best to avoid him like the plague.