Chapter Seventeen: A Little Chatter with the Mad Hatter

TEMPER'S POV

        I was in a room.

A small, cramped area with no particular start, and no particular end. It just seemed like an everlasting room with no ceiling, floor, window or door.

It was incredibly white, like fresh snow. I squinted against the colour and stepped forward. I remembered my voice, and decided to use it.

"Hello?"

"Bye!"

I spun around, the breath catching in my throat. No one was there. "Hello?" I called out again.

"Bye!" the same voice replied.

"Who are you? Where are you?" I asked, a little scared.

"Who am I not? Where am I not?" the voice shot back.

What the hell was going on?

"What? Stop avoiding my question! Come face me like a real man!" I retorted.

"What? Stop avoiding my answers! Come face me like a real man!" the stubborn voice hissed.

"You belligerent ass! I'm not a man!" I screamed.

"I'm not a donkey! And who says you're not a man?"

"What? Stop confusing me!" I snapped.

"What? Stop confusing me!" the voice repeated.

"Okay, shut up. You think I'm joking? You think I'm stupid? Get out here so I can beat you senseless!" I screamed to the invisible voice.

"Why should I shut up? Can I shut down instead? I don't think you're joking, I think you're deadly serious. And I don't think you're stupid. Wait, that's a lie. Or maybe it's the truth. Nope, it's definitely a lie. I think you are the most ugly, stupid creature I have ever had the displeasure to meet."

"That's it! Get out here, you demon!" I roared, running toward the direction I heard the voice in.

"Oh, but that's not correct. I'm most certainly not a demon, by the way. I just think I'm a... creative, manipulative fool!" it said.

"You...you idiot!" I screamed, stomping my feet in frustration.

"You... you idiot!" it mocked me, obviously amused. I stood stock-still, figuring that was the best way to end this pointless argument.

I heard some snickers and then a sigh. "Ah, well, I've had my fun. I might as well introduce myself, now that I'm done messing with your mind," it muttered.

"Who are you?" I asked once again.

"Well, everyone calls me the Mad Hatter. But that's a rude lie. I'm always quite cheerful and clever!, not mad whatsoever! Except when I run into idiots like you... I'm kidding, I'm kidding! No need to get your knickers in a knot! Anyway, I prefer to be called Terence Featherstrong," he said.

Okay, so I was seriously tripping. Had someone snuck something into my drink? Had I even been at a party? I couldn't remember a thing, and it was pissing me off.

A short, chubby little man appeared from the white. He reached just below my hips, and had major buck teeth. His huge, brown and green top-hat was placed lop-sided atop his head, hiding most of his hair and face. He had lots of gashes and scars embedded into his skin, and his brown tuxedo was very dusty and had many patches sewn into it. His shoes were the size of my forearm, several sizes too big for the petite man-- almost like clown shoes.

I smiled gently at his ragged appearance, perplexed by his little brown, beady eyes.

"So, Terence Featherstrong... do you happen to know a girl named Alice? Or perhaps a hare named... well, Hare?" I asked him, a goofy grin plastered on my face.