Chapter Seven: Rise & Fall

I squirmed half heartedly, afraid of what the person might do. Considering I was pulling into a chest and the chest was flat, I assumed it was a boy/man. I let out a squeak of protest as his grip tightened on me.

I didn't know who this person was, but whoever it was, was going to die.

After God knows how long of him dragging me into the forest, he stopped, and let me go. I was shocked by the sudden release, and I fell to my knees. I let a growl, and popped back up, turning to the man.

What I saw stopped me from lunging at the man.

His face was familiar, and there was a proud, and smug smile stretched on his lips. After a couple seconds of silence, I knew who this was. "Dekiru?" I breathed. "How could..."

"No time for small talk," Dekiru boomed, "We have to get out of here before my supervisors find me!"

"Dekiru, wha-" before I could finish, the boy grabbed my hand, and pulled me farther away.

"I don't have much time to explain," he informed, but I could tell he was being playful. Wait, even though we were practically adults, he was playing with me?

. . .

Alright, I accept that. I smiled, and let Dekiru pull me along. It felt just like old times when we were younger.

For another ten minutes he dragged me farther and farther away from the 'prison'. Then we stopped. I was a little out of breath, as was he, so we just stood there, breathing heavily and staring at each other.

"Well, I thought about how I would get you out of that...hell hole, but now that you're here, I'm speechless," Dekiru said. He smiled apologetically at me, and then shrugged. "But, I assume it doesn't matter, does it? So how are you, Lil Miss Bride to Be?"

"Oh, you know about that?" I asked, suddenly feeling awkward.

"Know about it? I'm planning it with him. He's excited, ya know."

"Actually, I don't know. He's not one for being very talkative."

"That I agree with," Dekiru dramatically informed. He took my hand and pulled me towards him. "I say you give him an earful about mindless wedding bullshit. That will be the funniest thing that I would ever experience. Oh wait, and I have to be there!"

I laughed at his request, and ripped my hand out of his. While patting his head I said, "Not going to happen. I don't want to bother him."

"Bother him? I'm sure he'd be overjoyed to have such a beautiful bride wanting to spend time with him," Dekiru assured. He took my hand and kissed it, looking up at me. "At least, I'd be overjoyed."

I smiled at his kind words, and patted his hand. "Dekiru, I love you, but I would never want to marry you."

"But you want to marry my brother. From what I've heard you've only known him for a week," Dekiru countered. His playful mood had dropped to a grim one, shocking my slightly.

"I've known your brother for two weeks, and I had no say! Not really. My father practically forced me to say yes, and I'm..." I paused to really think about my words. What could I say that seemed to not contradict my actions from earlier? "...willing to unite our clans."

Dekiru rolled his eyes. "I already knew that, dummy. It's an arranged marriage. Still..." he paused, taking a moment before speaking. "If your sister was still alive, she'd be getting married, not you."

My eyes narrowed at the boy in front of me. I pulled my hand away from his and spat, "You don't know that! Don't say things like that."

"Like what? It's true! They would have married!"

"If she wouldn't have died things wouldn't have been different-we wouldn't need power!"

"Need power?" Dekiru was silent for a fleeting moment. I took my chance to turn around, and angrily march off, only to have him say to my back, "Your father needs to be controlled. He's taken out more clans than you are aware of. We have no neighbors in the land around us. We are the only ones left. Did you know that? Did you know that your father has all killed every single one of your childhood friends, besides me? You may be friendly, and generous, but your father is a monster."

I gasped at his words, and quickly bit my upper lip to keep from screaming at him. A strong part of me wanted to hear him out. Tears had already started to sting my eyes. I had no idea why I felt the need to cry. Maybe it was because I was conflicted. I trusted Dekiru to know what he was talking about, but to accuse my father of killing off all of those people seemed so surreal. My body was so tense, I was perfectly still, waiting for more. The bitter part of me wanted to laugh in his face.

Dekiru noted my silence and continued, "This...marriage will be a great opportunity to control him. That's what I wanted to tell you. That's why I brought you out here. I didn't want someone to overhear."

I blinked a couple of times to get the tears away, and turned to face him, but a figure hopped down in front of me, blocking me from Dekiru.

"Too bad you have almost no common sense," the man in front of me said. Even though the voice was deeper, and I couldn't see who is was, I knew it was Yameru. "You're a leak."

"And you're a spy," Dekiru hissed. "You weren't supposed to hear that. I'm going to have to kill you."

I gasped again, and subconsciously reached forward to grab Yameru's arm and pull him to me, almost to try and ward off any danger. Of course, Yameru saw it, and moved away, to the side, using his other arm to pull me behind a tree.

"Close your eyes, and cover your ears," he ordered softly, staring at Dekiru with distaste.

I shook my head, and tried to say something but Yameru's narrowed eyes made the air stop in my lungs.

"Now," he demanded. The tone of his voice sent chills down my spine. I licked my lips, calming the growing pit in my stomach, and nodded distantly, doing just as he said.

I heard the mumbles as the two mostly threw insults back and forth, and after a couple of dead silent moments, something heavy landed next to me. I jumped, and my eyes accidentally popped open.

My eyes about popped out of my head at the sight of my best friend. His brilliant eyes were dulled over, and his usually creamy skin was fading into a pale white.

I felt the color drain my face, and I screamed.

Not a wimpy shriek-no. I actually screamed, like a scream that is so loud, people on the moon go, "Damn, what the hell happened?"

And of course, Yameru's hand was instantly on my mouth, and we were on the move. "Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit!" he muttered, his voice was dark, as well as his aura. I felt myself bit my lip, and look up at him with watery eyes.

How...how could he... kill Dekiru?

Updated: May 30, 2013 / Feb 1, 2014