She? A Woman!

* = Alagaësian Dwarvish curse

** = Alagaësian Dwarvish – First Dwarf king    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There in the door way stands a Hobbit. He is around four feet, nine inches tall, neatly dressed, with curly, sandy brown hair. His look or surprise was to be expected. After all, who would expect a woman on such a dangerous quest?

I place my two fingers on my lips in greeting. "Atra esterní ono thelduin. Mor'ranr lífaunin hjarta onr. Un du evarínya ono varda." His look of surprise goes straight to confusion.

"She's greeting you, Bilbo." Gandalf explains from behind the Hobbit.

"Oh! Umm, it's nice to meet you too." 'Bilbo' stutters, obviously not use to greetings tonight. He is hosting for Dwarves. My Elven family always preached etiquette to me. I stand awkwardly at the door.

"Bilbo, she won't come in until you invite her in." The Wizard informs the Hobbit.

"Oh. Sorry, please come in." He opens the door wide and gestures for me to come in. I bow my head in thanks, before striding into the little home. I stifle a chuckle as I hear Bilbo mumble 'first visitor to use manners.' I stand to the side in the main hallway, hanging my weapons pack on the cloak rack.

"Who is this, Gandalf?" the second voice from before asks. I spin around to fond the origin of the voice. Next to Gandalf stands a five foot three inch tall Dwarf with long, wavy black hair, styled with two braids in amongst the strands. He has a short beard by Dwarf standards, dazzling sea blue eyes and is very handsome. Wait, handsome? Yes, handsome. Don't do this now! Oh, barzûlegûr*!

The old Istari walks up behind me, placing his hands comfortingly on my shoulders. "This is Zorina Shadeslayer. She will be joining us on our quest."

"She? A woman!" The Dwarf roars angrily.

Gandalf sighs. "She knows much about Dragons: their strengths, their weaknesses. She's the key to killing Smaug." The Dwarf eyes me suspiciously. After a moments silence, where more Dwarves pile up behind the first one, Gandalf continues. "Zorina, this is the leader of out company: Thorin Oakenshield." If you're going to greet him, do it in the common tongue. Gandalf warns me through a mental link.

So I greet Thorin in the same way as Bilbo, but in the common tongue. "May good fortune rule over you. Peace live in your heart. And the stars watch over you."

Thorin looks a bit shocked by my greeting, but regains his composure and bows his head slightly in acknowledgment. Gandalf then proceeds to introduce the other Dwarves, pointing out the Dwarf as their name is called. "And this is the rest of the company: Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori and our Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins."

"And before you start greeting all of us, there's no need, lass." Balin, a short Dwarf with long white hair and beard tell me.

"Aye. We'd be here all night if I tried." I agreed. There are a few chuckles before they all begin shuffling back the way they've come. Gandalf, Bilbo and I follow. I find myself staying in front of a table in a lovely looking dinning room. Thorin sits at the head of the table, with Gandalf to his left. Bilbo and I stand up behind Thorin, I lean on the arch closest to Gandalf.