She'll understand.. Right?

(SHANE)

        They were right all along, weren't they? They think its just a joke, he things its all games.. But now my heart's involved. How'd this even happen? Are you even sure about this? 

        All I've done today is lay around our place, thinking.. Lisa went out earlier with her mom for lunch and such. She should be back soon. Having someone here today seems like it would take my mind off of this, but it's only going to make it worse.

        I guess letting this go this time isn't happening.. How are you going to get through this one, Shane?

        I sigh and migrate from our couch to the bed. I give a half-smile to Corny, still giddy as ever. I pick her up and pull her to my chest as I lay and think some more.

        Lisa is my best friend, my absolute everything.. Or I thought so. We have a dog, a place, a home.. but I guess that isn't enough for you, huh Shane? You just had to love him..

        I feel Corny squirm as I realized I was clenching my fists in frustration. I roll onto my back, letting her go and rubbing my face.

        I know this isn't your fault, man. You wouldn't ever think of getting rid of this. You wouldn't put your whole lifestyle and career, literally everything at stake if it wasn't meant to be.. Just calm down, you'll get through this. She'll understand.. Right?

        My thoughts are interrupted as Corny jumps up and I hear Lisa walk in. "Hey, girl! Have you been good? Where's daddy at?" My heart clenches and I stop breathing. I need to get up, act like everything's just like always.. But I can't bring myself to move. I feel my palms sweat and I slowly sit up, nervously staring at the open bedroom door.

        "Shane, you here, babe?" I hear her heels hit the hard floor in the kitchen, and then they start getting louder as she enters the hallway. "I brought home some stuff for dinner.. Shane?" I put on an enthusiastic fake smile. Her now strawberry-blonde hair whips around the door and she gives me a smile back. "Oh, there you are!"

        Here we go, Shane..