Gloomy Sky

√ B R E A T H E

Prelude.

    can still remember it clearly, the cold bringing of September. That night wasn't exactly peaceful. A few lightning here and there and thunderous clap coming from the sky. It was pouring heavy rain.

    It was just me, my mom and my dad. Not that there's any more, I was an only child.

    In my room, I was tucked in bed and fast asleep. I was back then a heavy sleeper, but the moment I heard a loud scream with a crack joining in, I suddenly sat up wide awake and was breathing rapidly.

    I can feel some moist on my forehead so I wiped it off with the back of my hand.

    And then I heard it again...a loud crackling sound. My cat, Fran made a screeching sound and it bothered me so much, I went off my bed and lay down on the floor to pet Fran.

    "What's wrong Fran?"

    Another scream broke in and made me jump. Fran screeched again. I frowned at her.

I struggled not to come out of my bedroom and head to my parents room. I was that scared.

      "Come here Fran, shhh..." I whispered to her.

      I held her in my arms and when another loud crackling sound was heard, I decided to just head out to my parents room but the moment I stood in front of their room, the door was slightly open. It only made me worry...my parents always keeps their door close.

      But now. Now, it was open. And then I heard it...the scream, the loud crackling sound. Then the sound of nails digging on wooden floor, it pierces my ears. It's coming from downstairs. I left Fran in my parents room and head downstairs, slowly...slowly I step down the stairs. And then I saw it. My dad grabbing the neck of my mom. Choking her and dragging her to the basement.

       Her body weak and limp on the floor. Nails bleeding from scratching too hard.

      Even though it was dark with all the shadows of things. I could see them clearly, and because of this my father could see me too.

      That's when everything became a blur to me. I felt the coldness of the wooden floor on my cheek and I closed my eyes, hoping. Praying that none of those things ever happened.

     [.Chapter One]

As I dipped myself underwater, closing my eyes and holding my breath, I thought of the first time my father had killed someone or more specifically; something.  That time, I thought it was just a little punishment for misbehaving, killing dearest Fran, my cat.

Just an innocent little punishment for me to realize that what I did was wrong, and that I shouldn't do it again. An   innocent little punishment...the problem is nothings ever innocent when it comes to him.

"See this child? this is what happens when little girls like you do bad things."

No...don't.

"Daddy, don’t please, I won't do it again, I promise to you and mommy. I won’t do it again!"

I squeezed my eyes, I'm almost out of breath, "I want Fran back give her back to me daddy!"

I sat up and gasped hard, sucking the air as my heart started beating fast. It felt like it was going to burst out of my chest any second now.

      That memory. It tore me into pieces, haunting me in my sleep. I couldn’t forget how my own father, that monster. He had killed my dearest Fran...not just her but also my- no. I can’t think about it now. Right now I'd have to think of how I'd confront my father without getting beat up, or worse stabbed with a knife.